Is it better to give... or receive?

by teejay 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• teejay
    teejay

I read a quote the other day that made me stop and think.

Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they'll
    love you back! Don't expect love in return, just wait for it to grow
    in their hearts. But if it doesn't, be content it grew in yours.

What I wondered is: Is there some real, honest-to-goodness benefit (physically, psychologically, mentally, etc.) to love someone even if that love is not reciprocated?

Do we live better... live longer – are we healthier – if we love, even if that love isn’t returned?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

No, but real love is selfless love, much like a mother's love for her children.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

hey teej i think if you are constantly giving and never receiving any kind of love or affection back, it will become very emotionally draining. you had a nice quote, but i prefer and believe love is a two way street!

even after everything
    you're the queen and i'm the king
    nothing else means anything

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Teejay,

I believe loving somebody or something is very healthy...it sends good chemicals into our brain, thus improving our well being. I believe that if that love is not reciprocated, then move on. Don't take things so personal, and believe in yourself. If that love was not returned, then they lost out....you gained the benefits from the good that you got just feeling love.

• Xena
    Xena

I am with Mango on this...love can't be a one way street...after awhile it would just be to depressing to be giving all that love and never getting anything back! And you have to wonder about a person who would continue to get love from someone without ever giving anything back...

Sometimes love doesn't grow in the other person's heart, sadly some things are just not meant to be...no matter how bad we want them!

Giving is great...but getting can be nice too

• Simon
    Simon

The greatest love, you'll ever learn:
    Is just to love ... and be loved in return.

I think you need *something* back otherwise you'll get depressed.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I wonder if there's a link to that and ExJWs? and depression?

It seems (to me anyway) that among the posters who are XJWs, and have had to deal with and struggle with depresson also seem to be very passionate people in general. I guess what I'm trying to get at is when you are the type of person who puts your whole heart and soul into something weather it is a relationship or a belief, if after time nothing seems to be coming back too you in the form of love or even respect it can leave one feeling emotionally drained.

Pay No attention Im thinking with my keybord

No matter how thin you slice it there are always two sides
  • Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

And I thought this was going to be a sex thread...where is my head these days.

Unconditional love is 'unconditional'...no returns included. However...that being said...doesn't mean its going to be easy. I have a classic example of my partner Andy who's eldest daughter lucifer in drag. She is rude, bad mannered, selfish, self centred, arrogant, a sloth, she loves no one but herself....and she's really really ugly! BUT...despite all this...Andy still loves her...he would die for her if he had to. ME on the other hand...I'd poke her up the bum with the toe of my boot given the chance

Beck

• Carmel
    Carmel

me too Beck! I had a naughty answer all ready then saw it was serious....

carmel

• ballistic
    ballistic

The question in the title said "is it better to give or receive?". Of course your real question was is it good to give even when not receiving.
    Although not strictly a bible person anymore, I think the scripture you quote answers your own question in that the two things can be mutually exclusive and there is by definition more happiness in giving whether or not receiving is present.
    Whether this is the case in your case however is a very different question. I tend to agree with Simon. If you are talking of unrocipricated love for example, I fail to see how a comparison of giving and receiving is relevant when a loving "relationship" requires and depends on two way love and affection, which a direct comparison of the benefits of giving AGAINST receiving does not account for.
    And yes, when it comes to oral, I think giving is quite pleasant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit