I belive the watchtower will fall.

by sleepy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I belive the watchtower will fall.

Maybe not now but in ten or twenty years its really going to be struggling.
    It will be obvious to most in a few more years thay armageddon is not coming , 1914 is wrong etc."Apostate Knowledge" will become much more widespread due to the internet.
    It is different to other religions in the fact that everyone is looking forward to armageddon in their life time. It is the driving force for witnesses and will cause it to die.Armaggedons no-show will cause bitter disappointment .

Those who have left already , and have taken their families with them have stunted future groth as this is mostly made up of children of believers .
    People are becoming better educated and more knowledgeable in general.
    All the elderly ones will have died, with no link to the past ,and no armaggedon enthusiasm will die out.

This generation of witnesses may be the last.

(Then I woke up)Or did i?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm inclined to think that the bOrg has just topped out... most religions go through growth spurts followed by a plateau.

For the bOrg to “die” there would have to be some major decent at the top... but even then the result would be for the bOrg to break up into several smaller religions – like it did in the early 1900’s

This almost happened in the late 70’s early 80’s with Franz, but it was squashed and safeguards have been put in place to help prevent it from happening again.

The religion has become a popular idea in the minds of millions of people – so long as the idea exists in the minds of people, the religion will persist.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Moxy
    Moxy

you might say the WT of 20 years from now will be so different from today that it can no longer be called the WT. but what exactly do you mean by 'gone?' can you name another religion that disappeared in this way as comparison so we know what you mean?

mox

• heathen
    heathen

How about the puritans moxy?To my knowledge they no longer exist as a cult.

• 4christ
    4christ

I could be wrong about this but isn't that kind of what happened to the Armstrong religion? "The Way"? something like that.... He said the end of the world was coming, didnt happen , church fell apart. There may still be some very small group of them left, but the big membership numbers and TV show are history.
    peace-L

• 4christ
    4christ

Doing a quick search, discovered the chruch still exists but now is much different. They have completely reversed old doctrines and are now much closer to biblical Christianity. Many of their old doctrines are similar to JWs.

www.missingdimension.com has info on Armstrong's church. He claimed to be "God's apostle" and his church was the "only true church".

peace-L

• Simon
    Simon

Much of the JWs growth was based around it being 'near the end' with the generation that wouldn't pass away, the annointed left on earth etc... all "within my lifetime" stuff.

In another 20 years how believable will it be that the memorial partakers are 'for real'?

The whole thing is falling apart ... no one has any joy or the time for such a demanding religion apart from the poor unfortunate souls living in deprived, war-torn countries who are desparate for the promise of 'something better'.

• ISP
    ISP

I think we/our parents got into the WTS because of the 1975 garbage. Upto that point the WTS was pretty non-descript. I think the decline has set in. Its in a tailspin IMO.

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

BTW....according to the WTS...Babylon the Great has 'fallen'...despite it looking in reasonable shape! I would venture to say the WTS has actually fallen. The writing is on the wall. etc.

ISP

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

COMING SOON!

The 100th anniversary of 1914!

Will it be marked by a special issue of The Watchtower?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit