Are we religiously intolerant?

by Sirona 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi All,

We are always pointing out the flaws of the JW religion. Does this make us intolerant of the religious beliefs of others? Where do you draw the line?

We demand that they respect our choice to have left. Do we respect their choice to stay?

I've found it tempting to refer to JWs in a derogatory way. Maybe we should focus on the good or the bad that they do rather than attacking individuals. Thats not to say that we cannot stand up for ourselves if a JW disrespects us.

Recently I've been persecuted for my religious beliefs. I'd like to think that people on this board are promoting religious tolerance, not intolerance.

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• D8TA
    D8TA

I dont really see people here roasting rank and file JW (slaves), but rather the Leadership (masters).

As an X-JW, I would say I was a slave in bondage. I found my freedom. I'm not going to roast on others who are and were in the same position, when I was a JW.

As far as roasting the Governing Body and WTBTS leadership? Fair game, to me. The architects of a the "Lie". Proven over and over and over with facts and evidence of numerous issues, that the leadership are nothing more then power hungry, self righteous, egotistical, men in search of self glory and gratification. And that they prey upon the ignorant and weak, with their vile poison. That the masters of this organization play with the lives of children. That play with the lives of famalies. Both physically and mentally.

You think that these leaders should not be accountable? That they should not hear the cry against their deeds, because *gasp* they are being persecuted? Don't persecute the persecutors?

I wouldn't go outta my way to persecute a rank-in-file slave of the WTS, but it's open season on the leaders and masters.

D8TA

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Personally, I don't much like "religion" of any sort at this point in my life.

That said, I am totally PRO-CHOICE on the spirituality issue.
    I am one that demands the right/freedom to choose.
    To exercise my "free will". And I have always been one to tolerate...actually respect...others' choices in this matter.

I might be suspect of individuals motives in some instances that hurt others...but for the most part, it's their life.

I really wouldn't presume to judge. Even when i wuz a dub I really believed that it was God's job to judge.
    Not mine.

SPAZ

• Sirona
    Sirona

D8TA,
    You definately have a point regarding the Gov.Body and how they are responsible. Perhaps the way to look at it is that they have every right to their religious beliefs UNLESS they harm people or use mind-control. If they harm people, it is up to others to point that out. If JWs abolished the disfellowshipping rule and told the R&F that they were free to be any religion (and free to choose their own medical treatments including blood), then overall their religion would be strange, but OK. Its the controlling aspect that makes it wrong.

Spaznik: I am pro-choice. We should show respect to JWs who have chosen to remain in the org. However, it is important that they can make an informed choice. About God judging...you are right, but I think that at some point mankind has to judge e.g. if someone is murdering then we must act and judge that person to prevent further murders.

Sirona

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Perhaps the way to look at it is that they have every right to their religious beliefs UNLESS they harm people or use mind-control. If they harm people, it is up to others to point that out.

I am thinking you have not read enough stories here....about people dying because of no blood transfusion. Hmmmm, can we say this is a good thing?

Or the shunning issue....mind control at its finest! Cut off all contact with someone labeled 'bad association' and you will be in Paradise. Reading the stories of people on the board and the way the shunning has harmed them is a major issue here.

Disfellowshipping--see the shunning issue. Same thing. A group of men decide that you "sinned", they tell you unless you are repentant and are willing to do things their way, you are out. All contact cut off from friends and family. Remember, as a good JW, you would have no "worldly" support system to help you through this trying time.

The fact that JW's discourage education and free thinking makes your point about "informed choice" moot. JW rank and file do not include educated, free thinking individuals. If you are a free thinker you are labeled an apostate.

Frankly, I do not care if I am intolerant of the JW's...they have cause too much hurt in my family. I am bombarded with JW crap anytime I see one of my relatives on my mothers side and it is too much. My catholic MIL does not bother me with catholic doctrine at every meeting. Why do JW's feel they have the right to continue to harrass me when I have made my beliefs known and have said I am not interested in returning? Because they are brain washed.

See the thread about 1975.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Puffsrule

Somewhere along the way you seem to have gotten the impression that I agree with JWs. I don't. I'm simply raising the question about intolerance because I think that sometimes Ex-Jws are have HATRED for jws. I don't agree with that.

You are right about blood and thats what I meant when I said "harm people". The blood thing is wrong. and they DO use mind control. I was just saying that we can point all of these things out from a moral standpoint, but not hate the individuals or act in any way that causes them harm due to our views of their beliefs.

Sirona

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Realistically, you could call me a bigot now, because of the way I feel about JW's. I hate them. Despise them. Loathe them.

I'm very intolorant of people's religious views, now, especially if they infringe on the rights of others with their beliefs, or harm their children, or delude the masses.

ashi

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Realistically, you could call me a bigot now, because of the way I feel about JW's. I hate them. Despise them. Loathe them.

I'm very intolorant of people's religious views, now, especially if they infringe on the rights of others with their beliefs, or harm their children, or delude the masses.

Me too

• Sirona
    Sirona

Ashi, I'm glad you can be honest! LOL.

I just think that in order for others to respect our beliefs, we must respect theirs. BUT if I was harming others or trying to control people, then someone would be well within their rights to tell me I was wrong.

I am pagan. I do not promote any form of mind control and I do not hurt anyone. I'm still attacked about my religion. This is due to people thinking that only their way is correct. People who hate someone just on religious grounds.

Sirona

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think this community goes a long way to exercise tolerance.

Sometimes we can misdirect our frustrations and angers, especially when a JW publisher or elder behaves rudely or unethically. It is difficult to excuse such actions, but remembering where we came from helps us to understand them. At the same time, none of us have to tolerate inhuman and rude treatment.

For the most part, frustration is directed toward "the Society", that vague intangable machine, much like when people express their frustration with "the government". And because you really can't attack a concept or any one person that IS the Society, we may find ourselves lashing out at the only people that we really know, your average JW publisher and elder.

I think most of us would be more respecting of a JW's choice to be a JW if their choice was an informed one. We all know that they are sheltered from a great deal of important information.

I certainly would not say if a person chose to remain a JW after full knowledge of the facts of their religion that such a decision would be a wise choice. But it is their choice, and if after having weighed out the facts they feel good about it, who am I not to respect their right to choose?

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit