Chance?

by Seraphim23 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Does anyone really think that chance created existence?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Oh goody.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Here we go again...

peter eating popcorn

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

Chance doesn't create things and I don't know how things are as they are but I'm sure you must know how it all happened.

Please tell us we can't wait.

• talesin
    talesin

Hi, Sera.

This is just food for thought, not trying to win you over, or embrace my way of thinking .... once I did my own investigation, and decided I no longer believed in deities, I didn't care 'where we came from'. It seemed more important to focus on my health, and well, LIFE. That does not imply extreme selfishness, as the JWS teach. It means that I can choose to be happy TODAY, I can choose to be kind and do good deeds because I WANT to .. and stuff like that.

So, to address your OP. I don't care. It now makes no difference to me. Evolution? sure, why not .... Planted by ETs? sure, why not ....

No matter how things began a gazillion years ago, my life will not be affected by that .... what's important to me *now* is that I do no intentional harm, that I am a moral person, and that I fully embrace life, with its joys, tragedies, and anything else that comes along.

xo

tal

• Comatose
    Comatose

Tal, that's awesome. It's what my wife and I striving for too. Great post.

• talesin
    talesin

PS. Many folk here LOVE the movie "The Shawshank Redemption", and a great quote from that flick is:

Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6YXm4b3H5c

xo

tal

btw, anyone heard from the poster by that name? I was thinking about him the other day... GBL. :))

• talesin
    talesin

Tks, Comatose. And good on ya! It's the only thing to do, imho.

xo

t

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Actually I don’t know how it all happened. My own belief in God doesn’t tell me that. Remember that I don’t take Genesis literally. The reason I bring it up is because derivatives of the word `chance` get used all the time to explain how all came into existence. Granted such use of the word is often due to an atheistic view by those who are also scientists, but that is my point in a way, because chance is just a word that means `mathematical probabilities` which is a perfectly good scientific tool. However something has to be there to have a probability and thus chance cannot cause anything to come into being if there was nothing there before, no matter how it is put. Doesn’t this leave only one possibility, infinity? However isn’t infinity also logically impossible, ironically because it doesn’t have a beginning?

Talesin I have a great sympathy for your viewpoint indeed, I would say go for it. I personally don’t buy into the view that belief in God is required for moral living. However such questions fascinate me.

I should also clarify that I except evolution for biology and for cosmology, but I am going to back to the point before both of those things.

• talesin
    talesin

Well, it is a subject that you question, so I recommend lots of research and reading. :))

My interests lean more towards philosophy and art (music, painting, sculpting, photography, writing) ... I like reading about physics, too, and find the new theories quite exciting, though I am by no means a scientist.

There is a wealth of information to be learned from some of the folks here, about evolution, Big Bang,etc. Some are scientists, and others are folk like you, who really want to know from whence we came. I'm not one of them; as I said, it matters not to me. There's so much study involved in understanding the theories, that it makes my head hurt just thinking about it! haha ...

I wish you well on your journey! Perhaps this could be the beginning of a helpful and pleasant conversation with some of those posters, and you could get some tips on books to read and such.

xo

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit