What is your opinion?

by Terry 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos

ghandi is reported to have said about the "Eye for an Eye" justice: "we will all end up blind". similarly,

applying Math 6: 14,15 literally and liberally will allow us to just go ahead and abuse everyone as we please. for they will have to forgive us.

and of course that is what the power-greedy and uncivilized do with impunity, having found the sheep, the meek.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

terry: we offend god more than anyone could offend us, we sin and offend god everyday,

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I don't know if we can really know what Jesus meant; what kind of trespasses is he talking about? Minor, major, overall sins or ones against us personally?

For me, forgiveness is about me, not the other person. I might not ever tell someone who has wronged me seriously that I forgive them but I just let it go eventually, for my sake.

I think the scripture is a club to force people to play nice in the sandbox.

Can there be public, expressed to the offender, forgiveness all around if there is no justice?

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Terry,

I remember this knotty little requirement really had me worried when I was a child growing up in JW land. My little brother would really upset me, (he made it his full-time job) & my parents would always say I had to forgive him or else J wouldn't forgive me. I'd lay awake at night trying to think of ways I could trick him into believing I'd forgiven the annoying brat, because otherwise, I'd be crushed by a giant hail-stone in the Big A.

gorgia x

• Terry
    Terry

An actual situation occurs in Islam today which I'll ask you to address specifically.

A woman is raped. She is a virgin.

She is given a choice under Sharia law to either marry her rapist or be put to death for fornication.

Isn't this merely a modern version (albeit extreme) of Jesus words as quoted in the opening paragraph?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

So the Sharia Law requires more than being forgiven by those you have pardond.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Good point Terry

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The all loving God says : forgive your brother

the faulty made human being : but its hard for me to forgive, after all im a sinful human

loving god: well in that case its hard for me to forgive you also you sinful human

human: so how do you expect me to forgive if you yourself cant forgive me unless i forgive

god is not christian.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Jesus: forgive them father because they dont know what they are doing

God: Nope, sorry i wont forgive them unless. They also forgive their brothers

Jesus: what a fuck you talking bout

• Terry
    Terry

Unstopableravens: we offend god more than anyone could offend us, we sin and offend god everyday

Ecclesiastes 7:9 NWT: "Do not hurry yourselves to be offended for the taking of offense is in the bosom of the stupid ones."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit