Implanted Computer ID Chip gets FDA Approval

by VirgoDragon 13 Replies latest jw friends

• VirgoDragon
    VirgoDragon

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1344763

WASHINGTON-- A company plans to begin selling a computer ID chip that can be embedded beneath people's skin, now that the Food and Drug Administration has said it will not regulate the implant as long as it contains no medical data.

Applied Digital Solutions Inc. designed the VeriChip -- about the size of a grain of rice -- to hold information that could be read with special electronic scanners. The company has touted the chip as a potential way to hold a person's medical records or security codes.

Applied Digital had held off sales pending discussions with the FDA of whether an implanted chip would be considered a medical device. If the chip solely provides identification, it needs no FDA clearance, the agency confirmed today -- advice officials have long given others developing ID for tracking children, prisoners or workers with top-security clearances.

But, "if they put medical records in, we would be concerned about the use," said the FDA's medical device chief, Dr. David Feigal, who made clear that the agency could step in at that point.

If someone is unconscious in an emergency room and implanted medical records are outdated, that could be more dangerous than if doctors had no information, he said. Feigal urged companies considering such health-related implants to consult with the FDA.

For now, the VeriChip will bear only an identification number, said David Hughes of Technology Sourcing International, a consulting firm helping Applied Digital in its discussions with the FDA. But that ID code could be cross-referenced with a database to detail any kind of information.

The company said production would begin immediately.

VeriChip emits a radio signal and has been derided by some for its "Big Brother" implications. Applied Digital has said it could prove invaluable in emergency situations when someone is either unconscious or cannot otherwise give information.

VeriChip is expected to sell for about $200. A scanner used to read information contained in the chip would cost between $1,000 and $3,000. A doctor would insert the chip with a large needle-like device.

Shares of Applied Digital rose 4 cents, or 8 percent, to 52 cents in late trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

eeewww ok that's just plain kreepy!!!!!

Ven

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching!!!"

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I wonder how popular it will prove to be. Could be a chance to score big on some of that stock.

Welcome, Virgo!

• apostate man
    apostate man

OK, this is one "prophecy" I did hear of from a preacher in the early 80's. (This preacher was an X-CIA agent, if it matters)

I was raised Apostolic Pentecost, as some of you know. I have been out of the church for about 10 years. My parents still go and I am still good friends with all of the congregation that I knew when I was there.

In the early 80's we were told that that the "mark of the beast" or 666 could be an implant, a computer chip. Computers were nothing special at that time and I always sort of sluffed it off.

Then about 6 years ago, I heard of this in animals(the chip that is). Yes, it started to make me worry.

One more thing we were told. If anyone can support this or deny this, I would appreciate it, We were told that "barcodes" contain three double lines. One set in the front, one set in the center and one set at the end. When a P.C. scans this, its numerical equivalent is 6. So every barcode would have an automatic 6,6,6 in it. I know about binary numbers and this is not what I mean. Barcodes were becoming a standard at that time. A "chip" uses the same technology. So, if these were inserted in your right hand, or in your forehead(for i.d. purposes) and had the 666 in them, wouldn't this be the "mark" as explained in Revelation?

One more thing. I cannot confirm this, but a friend of mine told me this. He says a few years back, around 1996, he was in a Wal-Mart, somewhere in the Southern US, and the guy in front of him had his hand scanned to pay for his items. The cashier couldn't believe it and it made a small fuss in the store(much more to it, but you get the point).

I'm spooked, YOU?

Break the chains that bind you,
    unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing.
  • Naeblis
    Naeblis

Not at all.

• rhett
    rhett

For a gadget geek such as myself I think this is incredibly cool. This could mean I could walk up to my house, it would know its me, turn off the security system, open the door, turn on lights when I walk in the room (ok, so my house already does that), turn them off when I leave, pipe audio and video to whatever room I'm in and that room only. If my wife had one as well it could do all that stuff for both of us and if we're both in the same room th system could decide who's entertainment gets priority. The potential uses are astounding!!!!
    On the other hand, there's no way in hell I could support something like this for any other reasons (well, maybe for people who need high security clearences) at all. I can also see how this system could be greatly abused. I also know I would definitely have one inserted into my child if that tells you anything.
    Remember folks, this is coming from someone who can talk to their computer to turn the lights in the house on and off as well as dim them. I'm also working on getting everything to work so I can use a PDA to pull TV listings from the net and then just tap on what I want to see to make my entertainment system automatically go to it. I'm such a geek.......

Back down the bullies to the back of the bus
    Its time for them to be scared of us

• heathen
    heathen

I can see some of you guys from the yahoo chat made your way over here,lol.Those rooms are buzzing with stuff like this.Big Brother is a concept that has terrorized me since I read george orwell 1984.Then you compare it to what revelations says and viola we have a society run by control freaks .It wouldn't surprise me if there isn't some truth behind it .Some people were even talking about a beast computer running all the worlds finances that required banking cards with 3-sixs along with a cumputer chip that recorded all your transactions and of course the ultimate goal was to rid the world of paper money .

• apostate man
    apostate man

http://www.spatula.net/proc/barcode/upc.src
    I thought I would share this.

Each digit is a fixed width; if you add the width values for any digit, the sum will be 6. The common density appears to be 96 XPI (X-dimensions per inch) or 16 patterns per inch. Each is also followed by an X-dimension space which I left out of the table entries. (B2A1 becomes B2A1A).

A UPC Barcode uses as a check digit a quirky Modulo 10 scheme. The odd numbered digits are multiplied by 3 and added to the even digits. These two numbers are added, and the checksum is equal to the number that would have to be added to this sum to equal the next even multiple of 10. For example, off my can of Coke, the UPC is 496340, so 3(4+6+4) + (9+3+0) = 54. The next multiple of 10 is 60, so the check digit is 6.

There are some who believe that UPC symbols either are or that they contain "the mark of the beast", 666. This is a misconception based on the start, stop, and middle dividers appearing to be similar to the right-side 6 pattern. This is technically inaccurate, since these patterns are 4-wide, not 6-wide as the digits are; further, there are 2 patterns for each digit, and the compressed UPC doesn't use the right-side 6 pattern at all.

• apostate man
    apostate man

More interesting stuff for the British Army...

Soldier Magazine, April 2001

HAS THE OLD ID CARD HAD ITS CHIPS?
    Smart card may be about to give way to the "smarter" soldier.

In a trial believed to be a world first, a cross-section of soldiers have allowed themselves to be micro-chipped as part of a study into how new technology may be harnessed to revolutionise the bureaucracy of personal administration.

All the troops involved in the project are volunteers.

Impetus for phase one of the Army Personnel Rationalisation Individual Listings project came from the acclaimed Passports for Pets scheme, from which much of the technology has been adapted.

The trial, which began at the start of this month, is to run for six months. Should it be the success which project managers anticipate, the whole of the Army could be micro-chipped by 2010.

Col. M. W. Jones, late RRW, told Soldier: " The chip, which is implanted in the neck, would have many uses, one of which would be to replace the current ID card. This would protect the identity of those in the Armed Forces and prevent lost ID cards falling into the wrong hands."

Every military base would have a facility to "swipe" military personnel in and out of bases, operational theatres and so on.

It would make the introduction of the Pay As You Dine Scheme much easier, allowing mess staff to swipe soldiers as they passed the hot plate. It is estimated that savings in time and administration of the PAYD scheme alone could in one year pay for up to three additional Challenger 2 main battle tanks or 27 single living accommodation upgrades.

"A continual database would show the whereabouts of every serving member of the Armed Forces, giving commanders much greater control on the battlefield," said Col Jones.

"We could "swipe" casualties to get their medical records, blood group or next-of-kin. There would no longer be a need for an individual's documents to be carted around the world."

All relevant information would be held in the neck chip. "Guinea pigs" say this process is virtually painless. A red patch over the site of the implant fades within days and there are said to be no long-term side effects.

There is, however some concern that individual freedoms might be compromised by the Army Personnel Rationalisation Individual Listings (APRIL) scheme, which could also allow the monitoring of troops during off-duty periods.

Anyone fitted with a micro-chip who takes unofficial leave, for example could rapidly be traced at home or abroad.

A purpose-built "stealth" or "switch-off" mechanism for the chip is being developed so personnel would become "invisible" when on leave, AWOL or posted to Special Forces units. This would effectively divorce them from the central electronic records management system (ERMS) located in Glasgow.

Certain trades, including some REME personnel who come into contact with powerful electro-magnetic fields, which distort micro-chip memory, are likely to be exempted.

If phase one of the trial - inevitably dubbed APRIL 1 - is a success, a second phase will take the project into the high street, allowing a soldier to be swiped when visiting a theatre, cinema or restaurant. Major supermarket chains, which have already invested heavily in sophisticated bar-code readers, are understood to have asked the MoD to keep them in the picture.

Servicemen and women of the future may opt to be swiped as they leave a retail outlet, with their bill being automatically debited against a personal bank or building society account.

It is anticipated that an added bonus is likely to be the ease with which product loyalty and reward points could be accumulated.

Also creating a frisson in the scientific world, Soldier has been told, is the area of inter-personal communications linked to micro-chips. Boffins are trying to establish if cell phone technology can be made to interact with a chip implanted in the lobe, bringing the proverbial "word in your ear" closer to reality.

• apostate man
    apostate man

I don't know if this web site is credible or not. I thought some of this was interesting and applied to the subject. Again, I do not support or have non-support for this site and have not read what the organization behind it is. So, please do not be offended I posted this stuff.

http://www.greaterthings.com/News/Chip_Implants/index.html#Microchips

http://www.greaterthings.com/Word-Number/666/42USC_sec666.htm
    Section 666 of Title 42 (the Social Security Act)

APPENDIX J

The Mark of the Beast

*A smaller version of this code places one six at the beginning and two sixes at the end, using three thin lines, sharing the middle lines. click here for more

John revealed that the number of the beast -- the earthly establishment of Satan's kingdom -- which will tread down all the earth and make war with the saints will be 666. (Rev. 13:18.) Sadly, signs of the times ahead seem to be staring at us already. To a certain extent we already live in a day when "no man might buy or sell" without "the number of [the beast]...." (13:17.) Today, nearly every product we buy from the store has a UPC (Universal Product Code) symbol--commonly called a "bar code." All UPC codes have the number 666 encoded in them. Bar codes, in general, are made up of lines of various widths and distances apart. Each numeral has a two-line code--sometimes more than just one code per number.(1) One of the codes for a six is two thin lines, a short distance apart. There are basically two forms of UPC symbols: those that have two sets of five numerals written at the base and those that have one set of six numerals written at the base. Every UPC symbol of the first type begins with a six (in the bar code, not the numbers underneath), has a six in the center, and ends with a six: 6,6,6. The UPC symbol of the latter type also begins with a six, but it ends with two sixes (three thin lines encode two sixes, sharing the middle line): 6,66.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit