Not even eating with such a man?

by Marvin Shilmer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

Not even eating with such a man?

Today I added a new article to my blog taking a closer look at Watchtower’s doctrinal position that Jehovah’s Witnesses should not even eat a meal with disfellowshipped individuals.

As it turns out Watchtower holds families among Jehovah’s Witnesses to one standard and holds itself to a wholly different standard.

My article is titled Not even eating with such a man? and is available at: http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2013/05/not-even-eating-with-such-man.html

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Marvin:

That's right up the WT's alley. They want everyone else to accept whatever pain comes from maintaining their disfellowshipping doctrine, but they themselves won't even put themselves at risk by announcing publicly that 'so-and-so is disfellowshipped.' Rather, all they will say is that 'so-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.' And they expect everyone else to understand what that actually means. They perfectly exemplify Matthew 23:4.

• Mum
    Mum

They're not even pretending that their inconsistency is "Bible-based." They are just taking care not to tarnish their image even more. Image is everything.

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

Nice work Marvin

• whathappened
    whathappened

Good Catch, Marvin! The crazy inconsistancies just keep coming dont they? Thanks.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Thank goodness I don't give a lil shyte what the WT has to say.

Good work though

• steve2
    steve2

Very good article Marvin. Nicely makes its point with minimum of words and all the more potent for it.

I hadn't realized this amazing "public" double standard existed but your referencing nails the point.

The Watchtower is into Impression Management big time.

• JeffJ
    JeffJ

I never would have thought of that. I don't remember if Ray Franz mentioned it in Crises of Conscience. Do you think he went to the memorial after being disfellowshipped for eating with someone who was disfellowshipped and partook causing the entire congregation to be in the same stuation they df'd him for?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I wonder if John was thinking of the memorial meal when he said "not even eating with such a man"... after all, in context, he was talking about the antichrists, which, according to his own definition, are the ones who deny both the Father and the Son. If they deny the Son, in particular, if they deny that Christ came in the flesh, why would they be worthy of partaking in a meal that's supposed to represent the body and blood of Christ?

Interesting thought.

Eden

• Scott77
    Scott77

I liked that statement, "Apparently what’s good for the goose is not good for the gander!". Its ok for the Watchtower to be a member of United Nation but not ordinary Jehovah's Witnesses. That is the mother of all double standard

Scott77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit