Wallkill is it a Commune?

by PaintedToeNail 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

It's a balancing act in a real commune- the spiritual leader milks the followers for all he can get, without pissing them off so that they don't quit giving him free stuff/money and free work.-In exchange he tells them they can have all the sex with each other that they want.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Hi Moshe

That guy I think had over a 100 Rolls Royce cars. Must have been quite a wealthy cult leader.

Bangalore

• 5go
    5go

Ha Ha Ha No, despite sounding like they want communism; the watchtower is very capitalistic, border line feudal in it's arangement. The workers are slaves for god. The society makes no bones about (nor do any other christian org, why they aren't called on that beats me) it and use those slaves until they deside the slave isn't worth anything and cast them off. A commune would never willingly do that as that is the purpose of a commune is people taking care of each oher not taking care of god, or his chosen. That job is best left to a monastery, or a mission.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

So the meaning is similar to the Shakers? Shaker furniture became oh so collectible for a few minutes, replacing Mission furniture. I visited Shaker exhibits in museums. It would never be for me. Some of these religious communes absorbed thousands of orphans when orphanges were scarce and shoddy. The children felt that they were fortunate to be raised by the Shakers. When it came time to make a commitment as an adult, though, few remained. The Witnesses are not the first group.

The Sojouner Community works. I admire them so much. Jim Wallis, who is a major figure in progressive Christian circle, was one the key members. They had meetings over whether someone should purchase socks. I met many of the members at my friends' wedding. They were awesome people. I could not help but notice, though, that my friends' H age members no longer live comunally. While no one sold out to corporate America the way I did, they have noteable jobs. They are far from a Witness mindset.

Elaine Pagels said that few of these communities last for generations. People get tired. Their children never know the outside and are bored by the circumstances. Children vote with their feet.

There must be fascinating studies of these groups.

Can you imagine a communal decision concerning socks and makeup at the KH?

• 5go
    5go

Moshe you are a bit confused, you described a cult compound. They fall under monestaries or missions. A true functioning cummune would technically have no leadership if it did it would be democratically chosen. It would also have no tie to a religion, and welcome all beliefs.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It sounds like monastic living. B/c it is so strange to me, I read quite a few books on monastic lving and mysticism. The monks and nuns were the scholars of their day. Women could have power in a convent. Some even had power similar to a pope. I spent decades pouring over Christian mysticism writings. It attracts and repels me.

I imagine that the leadership of a few people determines the quality of the experience. Certainly, I felt such an outcast in grade school b/c I could not go to catechism and confirmation classes with my classmates. As I sat through KH, fantasizing and counting ceiling squares for the nth time, I believe no child could be more aggrieved. I snapped out of it when I heard the Catholic school stories and watched sadistic nuns with not even high school degrees abusing the children in public. The Catholic kids invaded our playground, chased us out, and even threw big rocks at us. Our mothers told us they were acting out b/c of how bitchy the nuns were. They were wrong but we had to understand the motivation.

This happened before Vatican II. My sister had to attend Catholic school for safety reasons. My JW aunt and grandmother approved privately. The nuns were extraordinary. Bright, sophisticated, nurturing. My sister changed in a few weeks. She was beating emotionally and physically abused in the public schools. I stayed at a convent in Indiana only a few years ago. It was a time warp to bitchy, demented nuns. Yet I meet priests and nuns who know advanced theology, the world, and are so nice.

Any woman who grew up with a mother in attendance should relate to this convent tale. When I was desperately trying to just postpone suicide one day, a friend referred me to a convent. It was within 3 blocks of Columbia. No students knew it existed. They were Anglican nuns. The difference with the Roman Catholic model was stark. They were highly educated and nice. We discussed so many theological and Biblical items. I was permitted to eat supper with them. I was smitten, ready to sign up to become a nun. Perhaps I needed an intervention. They all lined up and actually bowed to the Mother Superior. Adult women had to ask permission to go to the corner drug store. The thought of bowing to my mother as an adult and begging to run routine errands simply appaled me. My poor Mom would go into shock. I was completely cured of my nun aspirations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit