EMOTIONS can tear you apart....but, not if you IDENTIFY their SOURCE

by Terry 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

This is interesting, and I see the points made by Terry and others, but the subject of emotions is not so cut and dried.

Perhaps as the discussion applies to religion, I can see the point. HOWEVER, listening to one's gut is not a bad thing.

Sorting out the 'how' and 'why' of our emotional makeup is one thing, but saying emotion is inferior to logic? Nah, apples and oranges, imho.

xo

tal

• Terry
    Terry

TALESIN shares:listening to one's gut is not a bad thing.

Sorting out the 'how' and 'why' of our emotional makeup is one thing, but saying emotion is inferior to logic? Nah, apples and oranges, imho.

Logic is a noncontradictory way of thinking.

Emotions are often quite contradictory.

Emotion is caused.

Emotion follows how we value things.

We often don't know "why" we are experiencing a strong emotion because the cause is hidden.

The purpose of this topic is identify those seemingly uncaused emotions.

When people cannot identify why they are feeling but they are definitely feeling that is called the "gut feeling."

Trusting a gut feeling means you don't know the value behind it--but, you're going to go with it anyway. Risk is involved!

My premise is that we can unconsciously absorb "values" we really would not otherwise vote for consciously!

Since we would not rationally choose the thing that is causing the emotion--why would we trust the "feeling" it caused?

We can act on whim--sure. But, the results are unpredictible.

On matters of life and death, love and hate--the more predictible and identifiable our source of action is---the better off we are.

• talesin
    talesin

When an animal has a 'gut' feeling that something is wrong, they hide first and ask questions later. One of the warnings to women, is to listen to our gut when we may be at risk. Our gut is an important part of our psyche, and we have innate, instinctual feelings. Those feelings can be explained and tempered by logic, true.

Pure logic works no better than pure emotion. Without emotion, there is no empathy. Without empathy, we lose our humanity. I believe that denying the importance of emotions is denying an essential part of what we are as humans.

We can agree to disagree, though, and I'm okay with that.

t

• cha ching
    cha ching

Just an interesting observation of info I have come across lately:

Lately, I've read about a young happy woman that went to a Yoga class, and became involved in a cult. She could not believe it. What did the cult leader use? Emotions.

One book about cults describes how cult lealders manipulate emotions, and make their followers slaves to them. (Sorry I don't have the names of books or links... just too tired tonight)

It all starts out happy "release bad feellings" "shout happy ones" and then the next thing you know, little by little, you are part of a cult.

They know what they are doing, the pattern works.

(PS, I like emotions... they all have their place)

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think Terry makes an important point, it is good to strive to identify where emotions are coming from, for instance, an unexplained anger must have a cause, but until you identify the cause you will not beat the anger, so perhaps you suppress the anger, and that leads to depression etc

So, get to the root, look at it , do what you can, if there is nothing you can do, knowing why you feel like you do makes you able to cope.

Talesin also makes a good point, if your gut tells you to run, or protect yourself in some way, do that first and sort out why afterward.

An example of this is Mrs Phizzy. Over the years she has met individuals and said "I don't trust him/her" and many times I have said, "How can you say that, you have only just met them !".

She has never been wrong, later out comes the terrible truth about these people, if we had trusted them we would have been harmed.

Her "gut instinct" or "womanly intuition" is always spot on.

This has the added bonus when she says "I like so-and-so" I know I can trust them.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

This is a brilliant topic Terry.

Really made me think as I have been plagued by depression since as early as I can remember.

Controlling black thoughts while feeling worthless and undeserving of either friendship or kindness is very hard but thanks to Lady Lee I managed to identify the source and am working on trying to give myself more value.

I stopped bike riding at the age of 12 and re-discovered it at age 47. I love it!

Edited to add: Most of my mad impusle decisions/purchases led by emotion or gut instinct have led to the most fun and I have yet to regret any decision made by this means.

• Terry
    Terry

Read the topic title: Emotions can tear you apart...but, not if you IDENTIFY their SOURCE.

That's all. Not saying eliminate emotion. Not saying emotions are inferior.

Just saying emotions aren't a source of information. They are an involuntary caused cause.

Identify the source and you are better informed since the emotions can be confused and confusing.

Listening to your "gut" when meeting people isn't a bad thing unless your gut is wrong.

It all goes back to the source: what you hold to be true=values.

Thrill seekers value thrills.

Type A personalities value high-risk.

People of prejudice value stereotyping.

etc etc

Each person's emotions logically follow what they value.

Emotions that are unexpected, troubling, overwhelming have causes. I'm just saying be aware of the causes and your decisions are CLEARER.

This thread is about taking a personal inventory.

That's all.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    Yet another DUD of a topic by Terry. No interest from anybody...

And what value is behind this emotion?

• d
    d

THis is true we often let our emotions cloud our judgement.Often at our own peril

• Terry
    Terry

Yet another DUD of a topic by Terry. No interest from anybody...

And what value is behind this emotion?

I started the topic on 5/17 and no posts ocurred until 5/19 after I bumped it. That was the "cause" of my (tee-hee) emotional outburst.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit