The truth just ain't the same any more.

by Julia Orwell 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

This has been the sentiment of a few I know who have been full JWs for decades. They say the love is not there like it used to be, and it's become less personal.

Anyone heard similar comments from oldies?

We know the 'truth' ain't the truth in the first place, but I have a feeling there may be a lot of older ones hanging on just because it's all they've ever known, and it the alternative, that there is no paradise around the corner like they've always been taught us unthinkable.

• stillin
    stillin

That is correct, Julia. People used to come to meetings and even go out in service because of an inner joy and peace that was prevalent in the congregations. Not any more. It's all about duty now. Part of the reason is the tendency for people to elevate themselves over others by finding something to casually mention (entertainment choices, individuality, etc) to others. This has caused ones to draw away from each other socially and these issues have become of such importance that the simple bible message of salvation is plowed under... And I'm not so sure about that either..

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

"The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses ... They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease that burden" - Matthew 23:2, 4

Rings a bell...?

Eden

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Sure does. Matthew 23 where Jesus lets fly at the Pharisees comes to mind just now.

Even I, who was baptized 13 years ago, have seen it go to the point where it's all about white washing the grave. It's probably always been about window dressing over substance, but it's got more shallow lately I feel.

• designs
    designs

Its been a long downward spiral of depersonalizing the religion. The old Assemblies when we had kitchens and cooked meals for thousands had a certain feel to them, they were nice and personal even though the work was hard and long. That got eliminated for prepackaged food then no food. We had live orchestras at Assemblies and KHs then recordings took over. We use to have Congregation picnics then those were banned. Wedding Receptions got a monitor to watch the activity- can't dance to wildly. Service was everything. The one area where you are allowed to have fresh meals and socialize is at the Quick Builds.

Its all about the Org. and they never let you forget it.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

When was the last time you saw any article on displaying the fruit of the spirit? (DC them of 1964)

When was the last time any article encouraged you to develop more Christlike qualities? (Greatest Man book 1991)

It has become a Loveless, Pharisee organization where RULES trump PRINCIPLES.

• designs
    designs

It is actually a good thing as more and more JWs will wake up and move on with their lives. The GB has caused more JWs to leave than any amount of picketers at Assemblies could ever do.

• Fernando
    Fernando

(2 Timothy 3:9) ...Nevertheless, they will make no further progress, for their madness will be very plain to all.

(Matthew 23:2) ...The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the seat of Moses. (They have replaced Jesus, the greater Moses, as our mediator)

(Why does the "true religion" secretly blind its followers to the "Good News" according to Paul, Moses, Isaiah and Psalms?)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

What's this about picketing at assemblies? I've never heard of it in Australia.

• Jaidubdub
    Jaidubdub

This lack of love & principles is what made me start to question the truth. They used to teach us to try to follow Jesus example & be loving to our fellow man & bros & sis... Now it's all about doing what the F&DS tells us to do,no questions asked or else...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit