Have you developed an internal,automatic spam filter?

by Open mind 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

Yesterday I noticed quite a few threads with headlines that generally resembled the following:

THE DEMOCRATS, REPUBLICANS, LIBERTARIANS, ATHEISTS, FUNDAMENTALISTS, WT GOVERNING BODY ARE GUILTY! THEY WILL HAVE TO PAY!
    I made a brief reply on one thread and the gist of my comment was, "Regardless of your world view, when you shout, i.e. use all caps indiscriminately, I stop listening/reading."

I wasn't able to check back in and it looks like the thread got yanked for some reason.

Bottom line: When you scan through thread titles do you even bother to read the title if its all caps?

I rarely do. Yesterday was an exception.

om

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

yes .... sometimes based on the topic ... sometimes based on the posters history

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yes, updates are almost daily.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

The titles make it or break it for me.

• Open mind
    Open mind

tater-T: I used to scan through the topics very carefully, checking both the topic and the username. Nowadays I'm just clicking on Active Topics and letting my eyes rip down the page. My eyeballs have now been calibrated for,

ALL CAPS = SPAM

and I just keep on cruising down the page. Occasionally, I'll allow my optical spam filter to turn off and read an ALL CAPS topic, but not very often.

mrjones: I think you've got one of the best-calibrated filters on JWN.

kurtbethel: "the titles make it or break it for me"

Yeah, the days when I would click on a non-descript title like "I've been thinking..." by a username I don't recognize are long gone.

Note to newbies: Until you've established a posting style, a title like "I've been thinking..." won't get nearly as many views as a more descriptive one like "Age 13 & thinking about getting baptized."

Note to idealogues trying to sell the world on whatever your precious viewpoint is: If your thread could have a foot, this is what an ALL CAPS title does to it, imo:

|

|

|

|

|

V

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

V

http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/49c2f828796c7a6b002d4fb5/shoot-self-in-foot2.jpg

Happy posting,

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit