Going to the territory you live in - in your area?

by A question 10 Replies latest jw friends

• A question
    A question

How emphasized was it to go to the congregation that you lived in the territory of? How many did so?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

It varied with the culture of the place and the CO. In my home town there were a lot of border hoppers, but in another one I moved to over 1000 miles away it was a matter of "Go to where you're assigned!"

Then in my home town, a CO came and chased all the border hoppers to their assigned territories unless they were elders specifically shipped in to administer the congregation. Then he left, and people probably border hop just as much again.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

A KM did address this matter. It stated that each individual must decide based on circumstances, which congregation to attend. But, if there are no good circumstances, then they will emphasize that you go to the one you are assigned to. Some congregations in Canada are so packed that they give you the option to go to another one. I don't exactly remember where that KM is.

Servants who don't go to where they are assigned, will be dealt with, and you may not receive any privilledges, if you attend an unaasigned cong.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Border hopping was frowned upon in the City. Congregation members wouldn't provide rides, for instance, if he was "out of territory". It didn't matter that he was physically closer.

• finally awake
    finally awake

We had a couple of border hoppers in our old hall. They lived in our territory but attended a different hall. But whenever they'd get peeved at that hall, they'd show up at ours for a while.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I used to visit other congs when I got cabin fever in mine. My one, although one of 15 in the city, always felt like an isolated village. It was good to visit other 'villages' and meet new people.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It depends on what station one holds in the pecking order. Elders, pioneers and ministerial servants are often found outside their territory boundaries. Generally these are asked to "jump over to Macedonia" if a neighboring congregation is in greater need.

The rank and file are generally strongly encouraged to stay where they are assigned. If someone chooses to disobey and go to a congregation other than their assigned one, then that person is considered rebellious because theocratic order is put aside. Often priviledges such as carrying mikes, prayer etc. are withheld.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

My old Congo always had loads of "border hoppers", some came from very far afield, passing four or more Congos to get to ours.

A C.O tried to clamp down on it, but was defeated by the B.O E who, after he had left, told everyone to do what they felt was best for them and their family, they said "your spiritual health and progress are the most important things ".

At the time, ours was the most liberal and rebellious Congregation around, now that numbers have dwindled and the nature of the whole thing has changed, I wonder if the Elders are now struggling to retain, rather than being in the position of welcoming all and sundry.

I was told by a guy who really wants me to go back, (no chance!) that I could attend where I liked, and he listed a good number who were still border hopping, so it still goes on.

• sir82
    sir82

We had a CO several years back who made a HUGE deal about it. Literally dozens of people moved out of our congregation, and dozens of different ones moved in.

That CO has moved on, and gradually people are going back to wherever they want to go.

Some COs have a major cow, and others don't care. Bethel doesn't seem to care too much, as the subject is rarely addressed in WT aor KM articles.

• moshe
    moshe

Some JWs don't want to be seen out in field service in their neighborhoods (personal or business reasons)- they are closet JWs, so they attend a cong next door and work a territory where nobody will recognize them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit