People who pioneer on government assistance

by ilikecheese 50 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

I had a chat with my boyfriend about this, and he said that he knows quite a few pioneers who are capable of working but prefer to pioneer with government assistance. His thought was, "Well, it's kind of bad, but at least they're doing something useful/good with their time." I know from reading this board that it's a pretty widespread thing. What were your thoughts on it when you were a JW? What about now? Do you think it's an abuse of the system at all? Or do you agree with my boyfriend, that at least they're doing something good?

Just curious.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Believe it or not we had a Sis in KH who wanted to pioneer but the elders actually told her if you can pioneer then why don't you get a job?

I'm sure that was a rare positive move by the elders.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Shirley... that is rare. Most elders are happy to show the CO how many pio-sneers they have in their congo while hiding the fact that some may be getting by on workmen's comp or other state-funded benefits... In my ex-congo, there is elder/pioneer who is on workmen's comp, yet he frequently performs cleaning duties at assemblies and garden work at the KH...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

very commen in the Spanish congregations

• Farkel
    Farkel

People who pioneer on government assistance = Satan subsidizing Jehovah's work which is to discredit and destroy Satan!

Yep. Makes perfect sense to me!

Farkel

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

"People who pioneer on government assistance = Satan subsidizing Jehovah's work which is to discredit and destroy Satan!

Yep. Makes perfect sense to me!

Farkel"

Ha, yeah, that's one thing that I brought up. "Aren't you supposed to despise governments? Then why don't people have a problem living off of government money?" "Well, we pay taxes, so we help support the government..." Apparently "Satan" is returning the favor.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Generally if you're on an unemployment benefit your pioneer application won't be accepted I believe. I know people on old age pensions who pioneer, which I think is fine because they've retired after years of paying taxes. I know some who pioneer on the disability pension though, which is terrible, because if you can spend 18 hours a week in field service, you can spend 18 hours a week in a job!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've never seen anyone turned down on their app for employment reasons. If anything, I've seen the elders encourage pioneering because "Satan will want u to stop the preaching so a job will come your way"

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey yes, now you mention it Wha Happened, I've heard that too...there's a saying round here that the best way to find a job is to start pioneering. So in practice, the rule about you supporting yourself is not adhered to.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I posted this a few years ago, but a friend of my mothers was a pioneer while on disability, she lived in Virginia, I got a hold of the right phone number for reporting people who are cheating government agencies and reported her. THey actually did follow up with me, but at the time I rerported it she wasnt collecting anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit