LOTS of JW books in local charity shop.......

by Pams girl 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Went to my local charity shop the other day and while I was looking through the books, I happened upon at least 7 books (the name escapes me) that only elders use, several NWT Bibles, and many other books, (Paradise book?) plus the smaller books, questions young people ask etc. In total, I counted at least 80 JW books/bibles. Now, I think the total number of books in the shop come to maybe 150.....

First reaction......smiles to self, ahhhhh! People are waking up and getting rid.

Second and much slower reaction that hit me several hours later......these books are out there to buy.

Idea......run to shop and ask the kindly lady behind the counter in a casual manner "How much for all the JW literature?"......"Call it ten pounds for the lot" she replies. Check purse. Have a total of £6.50 in there, and locate a random £1 coin in bra. (along with a lighter and a some crisps).....start sweating......"Can I leave a deposit of £7.50 and pay the balance tommorow?"...................No can do. Can anyone lend me £2.50???

Its all for a good cause folks!

Paula x

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To a good cause no doubt...but would they sell them if you pointed out that J W's give them away (unless they are old and have rarity value) Perhaps they could be persuaded to send them to recycled as toilet rolls..then spend your £10 on a book that you would enjoy?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I can't see a person who is not familiar with the group, to buy these books. Just ex dubs, or active dubs looking to fill their library

• Watkins
    Watkins

Around here the dubs are on alert about old-light literature and buy it up to dispose of it. I asked the owner of a local used-book store if that were true and he confirmed it is. You're right, 'wha happened' - no normal person would be interested in cult literature!

• sir82
    sir82

Somebody probably counted them all as placements on their report.....

• blondie
    blondie

I didn't dispose of any older jw books I found at thrift stores. I added them to my library. No directive here to toss books.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Maybe it's different in other areas, Blondie. This is a rural area with khs few and far between. When I told people in my congregation what a lovely collection I had of the older books, every one of them said I should get rid of them and not even read them - OLD LIGHT. And here I thought they were so cool, lol. I don't know if it was a 'directive' or not, or just something they do around here to block 'apostates' from using the old lit. against the wt.

When I got rid of all the books and magazines, I boxed them up and set them in front of the kh doors. Just wanted them to know that someone had purged the wtbts from their life.

watkins

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

So somebody's been having a clear-out. Make sure you pick out the collectors' items. You mentioned a 'Paradise' book? Which one? 'Paradise Lost' or 'Live Forever'? Any of those is worth having.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I just cleaned the garage and tossed a tote full of JW old books from 1976-2006 . I held on to a few older ones from the 1960's ,and the ones my Mom had from the 1930's.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I burned all my WT bound vols and most books, thinking at the time that I didn't want anyone else to get hold of them and perhaps get sucked in,

But thinking about it now, the best thing to innoculate against the WT is their literatrash read on its own without a JW there spinning it.

No sensible person would be sucked in by the literature alone, leave it in the charity shop and let it do its work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit