I wanted to punch this elder so bad!

by OneDayillBeFree 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

You need to write down the scriptures Darth gave to you, and hand them to him. You can call it "something to THINK about".

Guys like this are trying to get a reaction. They can't believe you aren't responding to them as an authority figure. The BEST way to ruffle their feathers, is to not allow them to ruffle yours. In other words, you don't need to tell them JACK SQUAT! Your statement to him about how you have been thinking about things, is only CONFIRMING to him that he is on a righteous path (being chosen by holy spirit and all).

I have occasionally seen elders from my hall and when they do the questioning thing....how are you...we've missed you....etc..., I literally just say I'm doing great how are you doing? Or I've missed you too, you should come by for a beer sometime. It completely defuses them.

So he thinks he has been noticing something, just assure him he has noticed wrong and that if you need him he'll be asked for. Just the aloofness in giving him the information he wants so badly, is where the real control lies. if you react negatively, or even give him the small nugget of info you did, it reinforces their feeling of position and strength. Best thing you can do is ignore them with a smile, and treat their requests with happy contempt.

I had a similar style elder tell me he wanted to talk to me in the back room. I told him no, but what was on his mind, did he need help with something? He said he wanted to speak to me in private. I invited him to the parking lot. He said he wanted to be in the back room. I told him I wouldn't be doing that, but he could talk to me if he wanted to walk with me to my car. I win. He walks to my car. He waves another elder over. When he came over I said, I'm sorry "Jim", "Bob" wanted to speak to me privately. Jim wanted to speak to me too apparently so it wasn't as private as previously indicated. (Its getting fun at this point). So I waved at a buddy and said hi. Hey Jason whats up? Jason comes over. Now its the 4 of us. My wife soon walks over. Hey Bob so what was it you wanted to mention to me? Well that was private. Well no it wasn't because Jim came over and that was fine. Whats up?

See now all of the power they think they have, all of the procedure, all of the heady ways of "handling" the sheep, disappear. Now they are the ones frustrated, probably irritated, and feeling awkward. Thy excused themseves and I wished them well.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Qcmbr: " "When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan–it is God’s plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give direction, it should mark the end of controversy. God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate repentance, may cost one his faith, may destroy his testimony, and leave him a stranger to the kingdom of God." - LDS Improvement Era 1945 "

Whenever anyone or any organization tells you to stop using your "God-given" brain to think, you know you are in the presence of a cult.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

" Yield to those leading you, and be submissive, for they watch for your souls, as those who must give account, that they may do it with joy and not with grief; for that is unprofitable for you." (Hebrews 13:17)"

Just one of the reasons I don't read Paul's writings anymore except for comparison to other writings.

From problemaddict:

"Hey Jason whats up? Jason comes over. Now its the 4 of us. My wife soon walks over. Hey Bob so what was it you wanted to mention to me? Well that was private. Well no it wasn't because Jim came over and that was fine. Whats up?"

Too funny!

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    And oh he had made me very mad! I dropped my briefcase, clenched my fists and stared him dead in the eyes and asked, "who created my body?" To which he, taken aback replied "umm, Jehovah". "Okay" I said, "so in that body there's also a brain. Who gave me that brain?" Then the elder said, "um Jehovah." "And what's the main function of the brain?" Then the elder just stared blankly at me, and said "oh haha, I see what you're doing. You think you know a lot huh? But you don't my brother." So I said "if Jehovah tells us to do something, we obey correct?" "Correct!", he responded with another smirk. Almost mockingly. So then I said "what if Jehovah told you to think?" The elder's sly smirk went away. He just stood there. Speechless. Frozen. He had no answer.
    At that point I grabbed my briefcase and as I headed for the door I said, "THINK ABOUT IT." And left.

Love, love, love your response! You are so smart for someone so young! I wish I would've been half as smart as you when I was your age. As for the depressing family issues, please don't let them fester. Talk to a counselor if you have to.

• JWB
    JWB

He [O'Brien] paused for a few moments, as though to allow what he had been saying to sink in.

'Do you remember,' he went on, 'writing in your diary, "Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four"?'

'Yes,' said Winston.

O'Brien held up his left hand, its back towards Winston, with the thumb hidden and the four fingers extended.

'How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?'

'Four.'

'And if the party says that it is not four but five -- then how many?'

'Four.'

The word ended in a gasp of pain. The needle of the dial had shot up to fifty-five. The sweat had sprung out all over Winston's body. The air tore into his lungs and issued again in deep groans which even by clenching his teeth he could not stop. O'Brien watched him, the four fingers still extended. He drew back the lever. This time the pain was only slightly eased.

'How many fingers, Winston?'

'Four.'

The needle went up to sixty.

'Four! Four! What else can I say? Four!'

The needle must have risen again, but he did not look at it. The heavy, stern face and the four fingers filled his vision. The fingers stood up before his eyes like pillars, enormous, blurry, and seeming to vibrate, but unmistakably four.

'Four! Stop it, stop it! How can you go on? Four! Four!'

'Five! Five! Five!'

'No, Winston, that is no use. You are lying. You still think there are four. How many fingers, please?'

'Four! five! Four! Anything you like. Only stop it, stop the pain!'

http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/18.html

• steve2
    steve2

If JWs were told your exchange with the elder happened between the clergy and a parishioner, they'd deplore the blatant use of authority and mind control - and "encourage" the parishioner to think for themselves. But it's a whole different story when it comes to the JWs mindless obedience to their own "clergy" (the GB).

The blatant double-standard is more a product of selective mindlessness rather than abject fear of the consequences. The typical JW just cannot be inconvenienced thinking for themselves - yet they'll "jump" on any other belief system that controls members' thinking. Bigtime Hypocrites.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

You really handled that well. I probably would have burned his fuckin' house down.

• flipper
    flipper

ONEDAYILLBEFREE- I have experienced the same feeling you have before- only it was a JC meeting where I felt like jumping across the table and strangling the $hit out of the younger elder being a smart a$$ to me !

This elder treated you VERY disrespectfully. Give yourself a pat on the back how you handled it. These jerk-offs only have as much power as we give them - and you disemboweled this elders power over you completely. Well done. Don't let these bastards grind you down. Continue standing up for your rights. Hang in there, we are here for you buddy. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• A.M. Number 1
    A.M. Number 1

Bravo!

• biometrics
    biometrics

One thing for sure. If you had of punched him he won't go to the police. They'd rather suffer in silence than have a police/media report saying there was a fist fight at a Jehovah's Witnesses kingdom hall between members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit