Jehovah's Witnesses - The religion for the lazy zealot

by sosoconfused 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Yep, we all make mistakes...

• steve2
    steve2
    Robert: How can people let themselves fall into this mess of thinking?

I cannot speak for others, but both my parents and my four maternal and paternal grandparents were JWs.

I'm a born-in.

The JW organization-minded ethos surrounded me and enveloped me from day 1 so to speak. What children absorb from their environment and/or are directly told is normal and the "truth" they generally accept as such.

I do not blame my grandparents for taking an interest in Watchtower publications in the 1920s and 1930s. They were not hoodwinked and they were not cajoled. At some deep, core level the publications appealed to their needs at the time and they asked for or accepted more. They were no more victims than I was.

The main difference between my lovely, rural-raised and humble-minded grandparents and me is simple: I allowed myself to develop my active, inquisitve brain and, as I got older, I came to the carefully considered and rationally unsurprising conclusion that Watchtower publications peddled nothing but unmitigated, simple-minded sh*t.

I never asked, "Why did it take so long for me to awaken?" I simply asked, "How can I leave with minimal damage and what sort of life do I want for myself?"

These are two of the very best questions anyone can ever ask themselves, whether they are JWs, born-again Christians, bored mechanics, frustrated housewives, lazy janitors or failed writers.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey Steve, I love your posts. Really insightful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit