Crisis of Conscience republished and on Kindle

by losthobbit 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• *lost*
    *lost*

I have it installed now on pc

• zound
    zound

I got a hard copy just recently. Its a little odd, it looks like it's a kindle version just printed out or somethine - a few strange formatting errors that wouldn't be found in a proper printing, but good information of course.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

I got a reply from Amazon:

"I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with the Kindle title "Crisis of Conscience, Abridged for E-Reader Devices"

Further to your email, I understand that the book very badly formatted and has lots of missing quotes. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I am going to remove this item from our website until the issue has been resolved. We will investigate this issue further and do whatever possible to correct it.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm the exact date when these issues will be fixed, as it entirely depend upon the publisher. I hope you understand our limitations in the regards.

If you're not able to use the item because of this problem, please also let us know if you would like a refund. If we refund the item, you will no longer have access to it."

I just hope they sort out the problem rather than removing it permanently.

• Satanus
    Satanus

That amazon reply has really poor english. The mistakes are of the style that asians aften make. Makes you wonder about how effective they will be w the book.

S

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I noticed this, good development. I hope Cynthia is getting the money.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Pity... I just went to buy it on Kindle and it puzzled me as to why I could no longer find it.......Oh well !

I will keep checking it to see when it comes back. Thanks for the info though losthobbbit .

• cliff
    cliff

The problem is almost certainly caused by the original (paper) volume being electronically scanned and then OCRd (Optical character recognition) to produce the computer file.

Any work that has lots of footnotes, references and quotations will give this kind of problem as the software program has to "guess" where the footnotes go and often, as in this case (!) makes a real dog's breakfast of it!

Because of the numbers involved, converting books to text files at this price level has to be almost totally automated without any time for human intervention and judgement.

I found with CoC that one just has to Kindle "page forward" a bit to find the relevant quote or footnote.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit