Homosexuality is an abomination!

by Fernando 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fernando
    Fernando

... according to religious moralism,

which as Ray Franz said about legalism, also seems to lead to a "morass of inconsistencies".

Ray seemingly even went as far as describing "legalism" (or by extension moralism) as apostasy or "a denial of Christian faith" (g79 6/8 pp. 27-28).

An amusing look at the Levitical Law.

(from Bible House of Grace )

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. One of her callers phoned in with a question regarding homosexuality after listening to the callers question, she told them that according to (Leviticus 18:22) homosexuality is an abomination and cannot be condoned under any circumstances.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident:

Dear Dr. Laura.

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
    learned a great deal from your show and I try to share that knowledge with as
    many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for
    example, I simply remind him or her that (Lev 18:22) clearly states it to be an
    abomination. End of debate, however I do need some further advice from you
    regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

(a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for
    the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not
    pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

(b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in (Exodus 21:7). In this
    day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

(c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of
    menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is how do I tell? I have tried
    asking, but most women take offence.

(d) (Lev. 25:44) states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they
    are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies
    to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

(e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on Sunday (the Sabbath). In the book of
    Exodus verse 35:2 it clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally
    obligated to kill him myself?

(f) A friend of mine feels even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it
    is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't know. Can you settle this?

(g) (Lev. 21:20) states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my
    sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be
    20/20, or is there some wriggle room here?

(h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their
    temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by (Lev.19:27). How should they
    die?

(i) I know from (Lev. 11:6-8) that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean,
    but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

(j) My uncle has a farm. He violates (Lev. 19:19) by planting two different crops in the
    same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of
    thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot, is it
    really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to
    stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family
    affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
    Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging, and
    we should do what the Bible says. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As I see it, joke-hova is an abomination. What business does that thing have regarding other people's sex lives? None. And every religion touched by joke-hova preaches homophobia in some form--Jewish, Christian, and Muslim all share guilt here. And they condone slavery and torturing those who do not believe in their religion. They also make women feel like lower than scum, for no good reason. But they don't tolerate homosexuality--this is a form of hypocrisy and self-righteousness.

In fact, homosexuality and bisexuality, and even group sex, are all perfectly normal. I can only wonder what kind of society we would have if sex was free from the outset, and children were not shamed of it at early ages. And if we were not taught to be ashamed of our bodies--or what goes into or out of them. As for the diseases, let science and spirituality work on cures without the Rockefeller-run diseducation system or the Vatican and its cohort religions interfering. And that will take care of the "penalties" without any need for joke-hova to interfere.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

Didn't know Dr.Laura was still around. Haven't listened to the radio in years, but I used to listen to her faithfully just to irritate me. Being irritated is a great motivator at work. The people that called in there SMH.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

It's typical of fundamentalists. They claim the entire Bible is god's word and must be followed to the letter....except when the Old Testament rules are such an affront to normal human sensibilities that they must obviously be ignored in lieu of a more sensible, moral approach.

Of course, god cherry-picks his own rules as well- just read the Bible:

Lot's two daughters get him pass-out drunk in order to have sex with him. That's called INCEST! But, the Bible doesn't record one word of reprimand from god. Ironic, considering Lot just fled two cities god destroyed because the people were doing the same thing-sexual immorality.

King David- guilty of murder and adultery. God punished the baby, not David.

Jacob hires a prostitute, who happens to be his daughter-in-law in disguise. God didn't condemn that one either.

It's good that there were rules about the truly important things in life though-like not mixing two different types of thread together.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Don't tell my homosexual friends the Bible say's this, they are some of the coolest and loyal friends I have!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The alleged presidential letter would make equal sense if it read:

Dear Dr. Laura.

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
    learned a great deal from your show and I try to share that knowledge with as
    many people as I can. When someone tries to defend adultery for example,

I simply remind him or her of Exodus 20:14 which clearly states adultery to be a sin against God and man.

End of debate, however I do need some further advice from you
    regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

(a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for
    the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not
    pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

(b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in (Exodus 21:7). In this
    day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

(c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of
    menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is how do I tell? I have tried
    asking, but most women take offence.

(d) (Lev. 25:44) states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they
    are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies
    to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

(e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on Sunday (the Sabbath). In the book of
    Exodus verse 35:2 it clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally
    obligated to kill him myself?

(f) A friend of mine feels even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it
    is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't know. Can you settle this?

(g) (Lev. 21:20) states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my
    sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be
    20/20, or is there some wriggle room here?

(h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their
    temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by (Lev.19:27). How should they
    die?

(i) I know from (Lev. 11:6-8) that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean,
    but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

(j) My uncle has a farm. He violates (Lev. 19:19) by planting two different crops in the
    same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of
    thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot, is it
    really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to
    stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family
    affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
    Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging, and
    we should do what the Bible says. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Christians always hold homosexuality as a more egregious sin than any other. Biblically, it just isn't true.

Scriptures that list what may be interpreted as homosexuality also list in the same context fornication, adultery, greed, lying, drunkeness, etc.

So, for those people that would like to deny homosexuals the same rights as everyone else, or think they should be stoned to death, should also be prepared to do the same to drunks, liars, adulterers, greedy persons and fornicators.

People living in glass houses should question the wisdom of throwing stones at anyone.

Vanderhoven- great point! You can fill in the blank with any supposed "sin" and argue just as strongly against whatever you want.

• Simon
    Simon

If you sit back and think about it, how self-centered and utterly retarded is religion?

Supposedly the creator of the entire cosmos, all knowing, all powerful ... cares about what someone does with their wing-dang-doodle?

Oh, wars can rage, children can be slaughtered, inhumanity can prevail ... but "OMG, wait Jeez - is that? Are you seeing this? Yeah - look at what those pair are doing!!! Make a note in my book of naughty so I don't forget" (in stern voice of "Jehooookabob").

You know who I always think are probably gay? People who talk about homosexuality all the time. Yeah, right-wing Christians.

• Simon
    Simon
    People living in glass houses should question the wisdom of throwing stones at anyone.

And also, taking baths.

• irondork
    irondork

And also, taking baths.

... and should get dressed in the basement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit