Medical marijuana and the congregation

by zed is dead 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Hi,

I do not know if anyone has ever asked this question before.

If you live in a state where it is legal to smoke marijuana with a prescription, will the congregation take any action against a member of it that smokes it? I imagine that they wouldn't disfellowship anyone, but it may not make the person eligible for priveleges.

Has there been any letter from HQ to the BOEs about it?

I am just curious.

zed

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I was told by an Elder that the GB/FADS/Legal Corp said the using MJ for medical treatment was a conscience matter. The only issue was in smoking it. I think the official view is that it would be no different than a prescription for any other substance. If you abuse it, then you could get in trouble. I would say, " Don't ask, don't tell." It's like pouring Vodka on the rocks in your sauna, just don't advertise it..

Look for a massive influx of JW's to Colorado!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“If you live in a state where it is legal to smoke marijuana with a prescription, will the congregation take any action against a member of it that smokes it?”

zed is dead,

Current Watchtower policy is a little ambiguous on the question you ask.

The relevant internal language is found in Watchtower’s policy manual issued to elders.[1]

It states that the “use of addictive drugs under medical supervision, such as for pain management, would not necessarily require judicial review.”

But it also says, “When questions arise, consult with the branch office.”

In my experience Witnesses do not face judicial committees for medicinal use of products such as marijuana and cocaine so long as it’s legally prescribed and used accordingly.

On the other hand, I’ve known of Witnesses who were disfellowshipped for smoking tobacco products despite a doctor having prescribed it as a medicinal remedy to combat anxiety and depression. (This is not to suggest any endorsement by me of cigarette smoking as a medicinal remedy.)

Marvin Shilmer

1.Shepherd the Flock of God, published by Watchtower, 2010, p. 65

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Marvin,

I have read that passage out of the "Flock" book, and the ambiguous terminology used. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences as an elder dealing with this, and any feedback the legal department gave to BOEs regarding it. Or people that were "investigated" because of the use of pot.

Thank you for your imput.

DATA,

I agree about the "don't ask, don't tell." I was not thinking of the states where recreational use is now legal, if you did that they could still DF you, as the use of tobacco is legal in all states. I was thinking of states like California where you can get a prescription for it.

Another question, would the elders make you prove you had a prescription if you were "caught" using it? It would be a conundrum for WT legal, because it would be a violation of the members doctor/patient confidentiality.

zed

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Another question, would the elders make you prove you had a prescription if you were "caught" using it? It would be a conundrum for WT legal, because it would be a violation of the members doctor/patient confidentiality.”

zed is dead,

That’s one of the issues raised when elders telephone the branch office. They don’t want elders invading privacy on medical issues except in very careful terms, such as when they inquire about accepting a blood transfusion. Typically this is only done when there is report that a publisher is doing something supposedly sinful, like accepting blood transfusion or illicit use of drugs.

In my experience branch office personnel advise elders faced with a report of the “sin” of smoking pot to make kindly and careful inquiry whether the product is being consumed by prescription, but without demanding proof.

On a humorous note, I recall an incident where such an inquiring elder was met with the response, “Is all that Xanax your wife downs morning, noon and night taken by prescription?” The elder was offended by the question, and the publisher replied “As am I!” The discussion ended there.

Marvin Shilmer

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The few elders I knew a few years ago, told me they were to not get involved, unless the publisher was smoking.

I did hear of one df'ing, but the publisher was distributing marijuana to others who did nt have the "prescription".

BTW, the whole "prescription" thing is just BS. Anyone can walk into a "DR", and complain of back pain, insomnia, etcetc, and get the prescription. It's so easy it's pointless.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

And yes, I'm not only the President, I'm also a member

• Watkins
    Watkins

Long ago when I studied, the sister brought mj up in question form: "If marijuana was legal, would it be all right for a Christian to use it?"

me: "Heck yeah!"

her: "Oh, no - Jehovah doesn't approve of anything that harms 'the temple' of one's body. Besides, it changes you mentally, and we need clear minds to worship Jehovah 'whole-souled'."

me: "oh."

I've never seen it mentioned in a wt mag, so I always wondered if that's something she thought up because I looked like I might like it , or maybe it was a point raised at pioneer school, or what.

So now with medical use being legalized and decriminalization being sought nationwide - now they have nothing to say about it, when the issue is current and not hypothetical? Don't ask, don't tell - sounds like the way to go.

"Why, Brother Skunk, your eyes look so irritated - do you suffer from allergies?"

"Yeeaaaaaaah - that's the ticket! Hayfever, get it reeeeeeaaallly bad. sniff."

I-really-do-get-hayfever-reeeeeaaally-bad!-watkins

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

God I can just imagine being stoned with legal MJ on sunday morning and giving a Watchtower comment, that would probably mix up things I tell ya.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I think that it all depends on your elders and how much they like to micromanage the flock and how much trouble they want to stir up. Marvin's comment about xanax reminds me of two elders corning a brother about drinking alcohol at a wedding because they knew he took anti-depressants. He told them to mind their own business, and that they were not doctors. You can't make this crap up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit