After hearing ESPN's Chris Broussard rant against gays, I'm wondering if he's Jehovah's Witness

by matt2414 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• matt2414
    matt2414

After the NBA's Jason Collins announced yesterday that he is gay, notice Broussard's comments:

“I’m a Christian. I don’t agree with homosexuality. I think it’s a sin, as I think all sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman is. ... Personally, I don’t believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you’re openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that’s a sin. If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian."

Is it me, o r does his vitriol sound eerily similar to the Witnesses? Those words could have been read directly from the Watchtower. And like the Watchtower, it is void of any scriptural support for any of it.

He looks down his nose at others who are different from him, fooling himself into thinking that he is superior to others because he's a "Christian," just like the Witnesses do. Unfortunately for them, the first true Christian - Christ - always raised up those around him, such as tax collectors, prostitutes, lepers, women, the poor and downtrodden, even the criminals who were hanging next to him at his death. Why don't the Witnesses and other so-called Christians act more like Christ?

• baltar447
    baltar447

He's just a fundie. No surprise there.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

After looking at the problems of violence and poverty that are ruining the lives of innocent children, this guy goes off because some bball player says he likes dudes? The usual twist on Queen Gertrude's line from Act 3, Scene 2 of Shakespeare's Hamlet immediately comes to mind...

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Any guesses as to how soon pictures show up of Broussard with a hired rentboy?

• poppers
    poppers

Yup, that's fundamentalism's standard position.

• matt2414
    matt2414

Well the Witnesses pride themselves on being unique, but in reality, they are not much different than all the other fundamentalist churches of what they call "Christendom," whom they often criticize and accuse of being doomed to destruction. Having talked and worked with other fundamentalists, I find the terminology and "ownership" of the Christian faith nearly identical to the Witnesses. The Witnesses may believe they are a Christ-like religion with all their pretentious "love bombing," but they reveal their true colors when they spew their contempt and hatred toward people who don't share their beliefs or sexual orientation.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

There was a column referenced yesterday that he wrote a few years ago, sorry now I can't find it. In there he makes the case that he is a born again Christian, but not a right wing fundamentalist. Congnative dissonance is a bitch....

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

The most ironic part about guys like Chris Broussard to me is that they say nothing on the subject of situations that would be considered heterosexual sin. It's like adultery and especially fornication both arent in their Bibles. Other examples such as excessive use of alcohol, materialism, right to defend oneself using violence, subjugation of other peoples, and a plethora of other lifestyles and actions that are condemned in the Christian Greek scriptures never get as much airplay as topics on homosexuality when fundamentalists get in front of a microphone.

Personally this whole story is a hey to do over nothing. Mediocre center facing a free agency which may spell the end of his career as a player and he might have just used this whole coming out thing as a shtick to open up other career opportunities.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Naahh...He's just a religious nutjob.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My business partner and I had a conversation about this today. He is a religious nutjob who thinks I will be going to hell because of lack of faith in god and Jesus. He also thinks that god will punish USA because of things like this, the acceptance of homosexuality by more and more Americans.

It's not just JWs that are out of their minds.

He also thinks that ALL who don't accept Jesus Christ - including all Muslems - will go to hell. I asked him "What if they don't learn about Jesus in their life time being secluded and surrounded by only other Muslims and their strict teachings?" He said "Oh, they know about Jesus. They have a chance to make the right decision."

I avoid religion as much as I can around him.

• matt2414
    matt2414

Theocratic Sedition: You're so right that many people who appoint themselves as spokespeople for the fundamentalist cause never mention major sins that heterosexuals commit. They always zoom in on homosexuality as if it were a sin, needing to be cured or repented from such as adultery and fornication. It makes me wonder if they do this because they themselves are guilty of those sins, or perhaps they are trying to throw people off the scent of their homosexual orientation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit