Did the Romans use crosses or stakes??

by Monsieur 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jesus impaled? If the wt insists:

This is from the justice lipsius book whose pictures the wt used to love to selectively show.

S

• steve2
    steve2

Even after it is of footnoted interest only to religious researchers in decades to come, The Watchtower will go as an organization that specialized in turning Incidentals into Monumentals.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    It matters only in the respect of whether we can accept or debunk the WTS theology and teachings.

They have made it into an issue , not us . According to them there is no doubt ,
    he died on a stake and the wicked churches have changed it into a pagan cross.....BB

The WBT$ is run by Idiots..

They can`t believe Pagan Romans would crucify Jesus on something Pagan..

According to the WBT$,the Roman`s would only have killed Jesus..

Using something WBT$ Approved..

........................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• Simon
    Simon

Crosses, but not like a T, like an X. Minimum resources.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Romans used several different torture devices throughout their empire and throughout their own history. I once saw a documentary that speculated that during Jesus' time it was most likely he was directly hung from a tree or if anything on an X-shaped device. The T-shaped devices were later and never was a cross (ankh) intentionally used. A stake would likewise be unlikely according to most scholars, the JW's base their belief purely on a single early 20th century preacher and misquoting some sources. Wikipedia has a good writeup on the JW viewpoint.

On the other hand, they also hung people from city walls etc.

• justmom
    justmom

I would say that it was a cross that was used to kill our Lord!

This is how I read it at John 20:25 "..unless I see in his hands the print of the NAILS and stick my finger into the print of the NAILS and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe."

If a pole or upright stake was used, wouldn't there be just ONE nail in his hands, not NAILS!

Just a thought

love Justmom

• mP
    mP

Its funny how literal the WTS is on this passages but for the remainder of the Bible, tey invent stories and all sorts of meaning very different from the original words.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This cross vs. stake is so comical. Only in Witness land could anyone care. Hey, accordiing to the Witnesses, he was not God but some kind of spooky incarnation of MIchael. Who cares how Micheal in human guise died? I most certainly do not.

My experience is that scholars are all over the place concerning the cross/stake/tree debate. Any crucifixion, not matter whether a cross, stake, or tree, was incredibly violent and painful beyond all conception. There is one great American Medical Association article where they discussed the types of crucixion and what happened to the body during various stages. I heard it as part of a Good Friday sermon. Part of me was shocked that anyone would describe something so gruesome in church? Church should be nice.

I assume he had to very certain of himself to play games with Pilate. If I were facing crucixion, I would prostate myself on the ground and beg, beg, and beg. It was a big deal in England if you were hung or beheaded. Beheading was noble and painless.

• justmom
    justmom

The stake/ pole is a huge issue to the WTBS because it is another doctrine that they think separates them from " the world". And having truth. The fact of the matter is HE DIED a terrible gruesome death. One that we would never wish on our worst enemy. So it doesn't matter which way the tree stood, he suffered for US!

Just a thought Justmom

• Satanus
    Satanus

A humane biblegod would have had him killed humanely, w no suffering. Suffering wasn't necesary for the price to be paid. It makes a great emotional trip hammer, though.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit