0.99999999999 = 1

by nicolaou 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Nicolau, if x = 0.999, 10x does NOT = 9.999, it's 9.99

EP, this is just a communication problem, I know you're no fool.

My opening premise was not "if x = 0.999" but "if x = 0.999 . . .", note the ellipsis which denotes a recurring decimal. Also, the very first part of my image shows graphically how the repeating decimal continues with an infinite number of nines.

I stand by that image. The maths is consistent and there is no 'switching' going on.

Unless you're a controlling cult of course . . .

*** The Watchtower 1962 5/15 ***
    The eternity of time is also beyond the comprehension of mortal man.

*** The Bible, Ecclesiastes 3:11 ***
    Even time indefinite he has put in their heart.

Not that I put any stock in either of those sources.

Nic'

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

EP, this is just a communication problem, I know you're no fool.

My opening premise was not "if x = 0.999" but "if x = 0.999 . . .", note the ellipsis which denotes a recurring decimal.

Thanks for the compliment, I know you aren't either. However, having said that....

I know what the ellipses denote, but you are talking about two different things. First, the infinity part is talking about math, the relationships between numbers, theories, proofs, sets of numbers and how they interoperate. The second is simple arithmetic.

In the arithmetic portion, the example starts with the idea of infinity with "x = 0.999..." but then switch to a finite set to do the actual arithmetic. In the example, they arbitrarily add an extra order or magnitude into the 10x portion but do NOT in the x portion. It's not valid to switch orders of magnitude. To remain consistent (a hallmark of good arithmetic) it would look more like this:

x = 0.999..... < consistent to 3 decimal places

10x-x = y

10*0.999... - 0.999... = y < consistent to 3 decimal places

9.99.... - 0.999 = y < consistent to 3 decimal places

The problem in the example is that they are NOT consistent to the same decimal places. If you say decimal places do not matter, then it's just as valid to do the arithmetic like this:

x = 0.999

10x - x = y

10*0.99999999 - 0.9 = y

Having said that, due to the real number system that we use that allows for infinities of numbers. It is absolutely true that it is a interestiing curiosity of our number system, but in practical terms or in calculable terms of physics or arithmetics, they are NOT equal.

And that's way more math than I thought I would talk about today.

• bohm
    bohm

Ep: i have to disagree, i see no problem with the move of the decimal place, as a rigerous treatment of the pictorial representation of numbers as infinite convergent series could formalize the step.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

EP, I'm no mathematician but I found this simple formula compelling and understandable. It's the concept of infinity that I was enjoying but that's not to duck the arithmetics.

I still feel I'm right but I know my limits and that I'm not really able to take this much futher. It's not satisfying to leave on a Wikipedia quote but . . . .

"The equality of 0.999... and 1 is closely related to the absence of nonzero infinitesimals in the real number system, the most commonly used system in mathematical analysis. . .

The equality 0.999... = 1 has long been accepted by mathematicians and is part of general mathematical education"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...

Thanks to all who commented...

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Paradox math. It makes my brain hurt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit