MUST READ: Books for Young JWs - a Required Reading List

by Oubliette 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Honesty
    Honesty

Questions Young People Ask — Answers That Work

• zound
    zound

I read Farenhete 451 when I was a teenage JW. Didn't see any connections at all.

I'm not sure if JW's would notice any connections with any of these - too deep in the machine.

• zeb
    zeb

"Brother Surgeons" x Morton Gould. Not for kiddies this one.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Brother Grimm's fairy tales (the original version). The God Delusion (Dawkins). The original writings from Einstein, Darwin, Twain...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Believing Bullshit" by Stephen Law, "And Man created God" by Serena O'Grady., "God is not great" by Christopher Hitchins.

• fizzywiglet
    fizzywiglet

I, Lucifer by Glenn Duncan

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

• QueenWitch
    QueenWitch

The Harry Potter series. Seriously. Witchcraft is not demonic and there's nothing wrong being curious about it.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan.

Anything by Neil DeGrasse Tyson (my son LOVES his stuff).

"The Emperor's New Clothes". If the majority believe in something that just isn't there, does it really make it a fact?

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Another work of fiction that I think is good is Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love". It's about a man who never died (a JW dream) and it contains a quote that, for me was life changing:

"What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what the stars fortell, avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable 'verdict of history' -what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!"

CyrusThePersian

• brinjen
    brinjen

The Hunger Games trilogy. Lot of parallels of assuming everyone else is happy because that is the image that is presented to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit