A Contradiction?

by Yan Bibiyan 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Prayer is a way to communicate with God. Prayer gives you power when you need it.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Well, your illustration about the fire is modern. Today if you are in a bldg that is on fire you have to look after yourself. So does that guy in the wheelchair. It is the responsibily of the fireman to rescue any handy capped people.

QB, I do not want to derail the topic, but are you telling me that you'd leave the guy to chance if you could help, just because it is not your job?

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Prayer is a way to communicate with God.

I see communication as a 2way street. Not quite a dialog with god...

Prayer gives you power when you need it.

Unless god ignores your request.....Then we are back to square one.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Unstop, ye you gota tell the wife, even if she knows..

My original point is that prayer and faith seem to fall in opposite corners. If you believe god's got it covered, what exactly does prayer accomplish?

Eddited to Add: You don't pray for the Sun to rise, or the TV signal to go from M&T Bank Stadium to your house - god has got it covered . Prayer seems to come in the picture when you are not sure about something..and that to me indicates that the faith in it is lacking.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There's a german proverb, act as if no prayer will do and pray as if no act will do.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

yan:what about praying for faith?

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

USR.. hey how you been .. haven't seen you since the Super Bowl..

So do your wife and kids have to ask if you are going to feed them everyday... or do you just do it because you love them?

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

tater, they must ask lol of cousre not, but yahweh is the source of life and he provides.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

yb: I was a appointed Fire Captain for the organization I worked for in our Bldg. The handicapped went to a room that was safe on the floor that I had to evacuate first. Then the volunteers would assist the handicapped down a safe route. That was the drill.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

QB,

Of course fire drills are life savers. This is not the issue. My illustration is there just for comparison.

Let me try differently:

If you saw someone drowning, and you can swim, have a boat and can easily pull them to safety, would you wait for them to ask to be saved?

Would you wait for them to ask repeatedly to be saved?

Would you wait for them to ask repeatedly to be saved, watch them drown and just continue your eternal journey as if nothing has happened?

If they didn't ask nicely, or perhaps had called you names the day before, would you let them drown?

Is the act of asking that important to be rehearsed daily for the span of one's life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit