did any of you jW read orwells 1984 or Animal Farm

by nonjwspouse 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have the book and read it first about 1974. I was a witness at the time.

I was more upset about how I applied the characters to the US government than

I was about the Watchtower society.

To me the book deals with corrupt leadership and everywhere I have ever looked

in my life I have seen corrupt leadership.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

My darling daughter the witness read Animal Farm in high school. We discussed it while riding in the car. I bit my tongue and didn't ever mention the Watchtower; that would have closed her Theocratically Trained ears and mind instantly. We did talk about the gradual tightening of control, how the doctrines were quietly changed, how "all animals are created equal" was appended with "but some are more equal than others", how the zealous hard workers were taken advantage of and discarded when they wore out, and the leaders' change from reformers to tyrants.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Nope, be because I wasn't familiar with wt history or methods, even tho I was a Jw and actually taught 1984 as a senior English teacher! I was too busy working and running the meeting treadmill to even compare the text with life. I was like Parsons, trying to do my bit for the Party. It took me until I had a couple of months to,sit and research that I became like Winston, and now I'm avoiding O'Brien and keeping away from Miniluv.

• return of parakeet
    return of parakeet

Read both in high school.

I was so braindead I missed any connection with them and the dubs.

It took the birth of my first child to wake me up.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Both were required reading at school. Yes, I read them and hated the WT. Did I see a clear link between the conduct described in the books and the KH and Bethel? No, but I was young.

Shocking, isn't it? Hey, nonWitnesses may wonder whether a point was exagerrated for maximum fictional impact. We know how understated the situations are.

• mind blown
    mind blown

I have it on DVD......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit