April 5, 2013 news article about a N. Carolina JW raping a 12-year-old girl at KH

by AndersonsInfo 24 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I just received a link to this article today. I searched to see if it had been posted before on JWN but couldn't locate anything. Barbara http://www.robesonian.com/view/full_story/22159944/article-Man-charged-with-rape-of-12-year-old Man charged with rape of 12-year-old by Adelina Shee
    Staff writer 22 days ago | 103731 views | 4 4 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print Rodriguez-Vazquez
    Rodriguez-Vazquez

LUMBERTON — A youth group leader is accused of sexually assaulting a 12-year-old girl while working at a Lumberton church, according to the Robeson County Sheriff’s Office.

Jahaziel Levi Rodriguez-Vazquez, 28, of 221 Warwick Mill Road, is charged with statutory rape and is being held under a $50,000 bond at the Robeson County jail, according to Randall Graham, spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Office. Rodriguez-Vazquez was 27 at the time of the alleged assault.

According to a sheriff’s report, Rodriguez-Vasquez was working at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s, a church at 918 Piney Grove Road, when the assaults occurred. Graham said Rodriguez-Vazquez got to know the victim while working with young people at the church.

The victim’s parents contacted lawmen in March. According to the report, Rodriguez-Vazquez assaulted the girl twice, once last year and again in February.

Investigators with the sheriff’s Juvenile Division say there is a possibility that there are other victims, and anyone with information should call 910-671-3140.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

The WT has youth programs at the KH now?

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I don't understand how he was 'working' at the KH. Was he a Witness who was doing some electrical work or something? Maybe from a different congregation since he got to know the victim through his work? Also, it mentions 'statuatory rape' which would indicate that he seduced her. Wish the article was less ambiguous.

• sir82
    sir82

Article does not mention if the perp was a JW. Could have been a study, an "unbelieving mate", or a contractor to fix some mechanical problem at the KH.

But if he was, and...

Investigators with the sheriff’s Juvenile Division say there is a possibility that there are other victims

There must have been some seriously hot & heavy panicked phone calls between WT legal & the local BOE.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    According to a sheriff’s report, Rodriguez-Vasquez was working at Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s, a church at 918 Piney Grove Road, when the assaults occurred. Graham said Rodriguez-Vazquez got to know the victim while working with young people at the church.

When they say working with young people at the church, it leads me to conclude he's probably a Ministerial Servant, or possibly an Elder. Maybe even simply a baptized brother that took the lead on whatever aspect of work was being done at the Hall. Probably a spring cleaning or something of that nature. Still, how'd he pull of sex with a 12 year old at the KH with other folks around?

edit post: Sir82, I can only imagine the phone calls, and definately a possibility that he's not a JW now that you mention it.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Still, how'd he pull of sex with a 12 year old at the KH with other folks around?

My guess would be that he'd been grooming her so she wouldn't put up a fuss. Everyone's inside eating at lunchtime. He has a van in the parking lot.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Good for the parents in calling the cops.

If this is any indication, the days of phoning the elders and trying to keep everything internal and on the DL are on the way out. The blows to the WTS's public image, however...

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Just a guess would be that they were all there cleaning the KH and he took advantage of an opportunity to do what he did.

It says he was a youth group leader well we know they don't have that per se but it implies he was a JW and a member.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I can tell that he is guilty by his beady eyes.........

• Terry
    Terry

Whoever the reporter was they should be fired.

The details are so ambiguous it is difficult to parse the actual facts.

I'd wait for a more detailed follow up story before deciding if he was an actual JW or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit