This Jeremiah book is a joke!

by OneDayillBeFree 15 Replies latest members adult

• jgnat
    jgnat

There was another prophet who was commanded to marry a loose woman.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

The part that amused me was when they mentioned that Paul may have been a widower. Considering all of his anti-women, anti-marriage, anti-normal-feelings crap.. His wife, if she existed of course, must have been one hell of a woman.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

jgnat I think that has Hosea. The JWs really take the bible as 100% applicable to our time when it is so clearly not. Even hard core christians must admit that what happened to the Jews can not be equated to our time period. They basically pick and choose what seems to support their doctrine while ignorning others for no apparent reason. I mean do they really think that God expects us to exacly mirror Jews in ancient times today in 2013?

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

Sure jgnat, but they're studying Jeremiah at the moment.. Unless breakfast meant what does that have to do with us, in which case, good point. Maybe I need to go on a course on how to interpret people ;)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Vidqun:

Give me Chrstendom's commentaries any day.

Yea, I agree. I find that academic commentaries are often very analytical. So you get to see the various historical and textual issues that may be involved in a particular text or subject. They also explore the context (surrounding and further out) much better.

Numerous times I have shown someone something out of one of 'Christendom's' commentaries and their response was, 'I wonder why they are not in the truth.' The last few WT commentaries we have gone through, I followed along also in a non-WT commentary and the difference in information given and fair/honest commentary style is very telling. Non-WT commentaries are far more freer with information, historical content, exploring opposing viewpoints, and respect for those who have different views.

Often times, the WT's chosen viewpoint is also in non-WT commentaries, although the WT itself is rarely mentioned, because others hold that view too. So they don't have the us-versus-them style of writing.

I will also say that comparing WT to non-WT commentaries often helps expose WT slight of hand. (Just to give one example: In Ezek chap 9, the 'man with the writer's inkhorn' is applied by the Society to 'the anointed remnant.' In chap. 10 this same man is instructed to get fire from the temple and throw it on the city. Rev chap. 8 alludes to this 'man' (8:1-5), but describes him as an angel. Every non-WT commentary that I have ever seen points out the connection between Rev 8 and Ezek 9 & 10. But WT commentaries are always silent about this connection. No doubt because they want the 'man with the inkhorn' to be themselves.)

One day I'm going to post a thread on the WT's distorted application of the text in Amos about a 'spiritual famine.'

If more witnesses would allow themselves to peruse non-WT literature it would expose the WT information scam. The WT scours non-WT commentaries in preparing their literature, but want you and I to think that they are the only channel for right info about God and his purposes.

Take Care

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's as dumb as we should all shoot for singlehood because Jeremiah was commanded so. So let's all imitate Hosea. He was commanded as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit