I don't have a good title, just read it

by Honeybucket 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Carla hit the nail right on the head with the observation, " They have no clue about their own doctrines in most cases..."

The best way to keep people in a cult is to make sure they don't really understand what they are espousing. Scientology, Wahabi Islam, and UFO cults are other good examples. An old drunk once said, "religion is a snare and a racket."

Throughout the history of the Watchtower there have been "secret doctrines" in the sense that there have been some teachings that were seldom discussed but which were firmly inside the Watchtower doctrinal camp. One of these is that the 144,000 are part of the ransom. Another is the 7,000 year long creative day, which Russell picked up in his early reading - that notion has only the barest scriptural support and can be shown to pre-date Christianity itself.

The Watchtower no longer has Russell, Rutherford or Franz to vigorously defend their "present truth." They are led by a comittee of ignoramuses today, a doctrinal fuster-cluck.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"First off, he didn't even know that 607 was relevant to JW teachings."

Sadly this is not surprising. I think LisaRose hit the nail on the head. They have been trained to simply accept whatever is taught SO WELL that even when you can prove that their foundation is faulty....they don't care because the GB tells them to ignore it. Pure, utter mind control. I recall going over the 607 stuff with my wife while she feigned interest. Towards the end of the discussion she asked, "so do you still believe that Jesus became king in 1914?" She was clueless.

I truly believe that the governing body is purposely muddying the waters. I think this debacle of an explanation of Matt 24:45-47 that they have come up with is on purpose. I think they are going to continue to make doctrines as convoluted as possible because doing so will wake up the minority thinking class while at the same time, causing the majority drones to simply throw up their hands and say "this is too complicated......Good thing the FDS is here to understand it! All we have to do is listen and obey". This way they can kill two birds with one stone. Get rid of the ones that insist on thinking.....while ratcheting up control over the ones that dont

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

We just watched this documentary on Netflix also! It is very good. Another good one was 'Legacy: History of Civilizations" At the end of the 6 episodes they are showing how the U.S. has taken all these different things from all the civilizations thru history and even tho there are seveal other countries larger, the guy asks "How did one country get all the power?"

Hubby & I turned to one another and said at the same time "The 8th King". and they've already handed their power over to him. The show gave me goose bumps when he asked that.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The Knights Templar in 587 BC ??? Before Christ ?

thats 587 years before the birth of Christ ??

You want to re-think this ?

Knights were post-Roman, Western, Catholic Church.

Knights Templar originated around 1119 AD thats

a thousand years after Christ. AD (Anno Domini)

Kinghts Templar were associated with the Crusades,

and formed to protect pilgrims travelling to Jerusalem

on a Crusade to take back Jersulaem from the

Muslims. Muslims did not exist until after Muhammad,

prophet of Islam, their leader, who was not born until 570 AD

and died in 632 AD. Muhammad had an army, when

he died this army invaded and took over mostly all

of North Africa, the Middle East, Holy Lands, and Europe,

after 300 years of occupation, the Europeans started the

Crusades in 1096 AD to take back their lands starting

with their Holy place Jerusalem.

The Knights Templar came out of this movement.

So to say the Kights were excavating pre-Christian times

is just bad history. They may have excavated the ruins in

Jerusalem that are there now.

A Muslim Mosque sits on the Temple Mound of the

ancient Jewish temple of Solomon, destroyed by the Romans.

The Jews excavate to this day, under the mound and

worship at the Western Wall, the Wailing Wall.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Being a JW is like being a Zombie. Eyes glazed over, going through the motions, not being allowed to think for yourself, etc.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Village Girl, saved me writing a correction.The thing is it is THE most counter-productive thing you can do when talking to a JW about their wacky beliefs, get just ONE fact wrong.

Befroe opening my trap with JW's I make sure I know my subject right down to the finest detail, what my dear old Father In Law in his earthy way calls "the ins and outs of a ducks arsehole".

As I say, you get one thing wrong, they will dismiss everything else you say. One thing wrong from them, 607BCE say, and that doesn't matter.

They don't fight fair in discussion.

• Terry
    Terry

Nathan Natas says: The Watchtower no longer has Russell, Rutherford or Franz to vigorously defend their "present truth." They are led by a comittee of ignoramuses today, a doctrinal fuster-cluck.

Welcome back to the fold, Nathan Natas! I'm slaying a fatted calf for you. Actually, it is Eskimo Pie!

Village Girl: The Knights Templar in 587 BC ??? Before Christ ?

thats 587 years before the birth of Christ ??

You want to re-think this ?

The irony is that JW's taught us to talk about things we don't have any actual information about AS THOUGH we are experts. This carries over after we are EX-JW's to the extent we carry old habits around unless made aware.

Not many members of JW-net have an extensive enough familiarity with archaeology, history, exegesis and such to go jumping into a debate with any confidence they will come out unscathed. A so-called "Apostate" only has to get their facts wrong just ONCE and the walls come tumblin' down!

Thanks for pointing out the problem.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

The saga continues..

We went out to dinner tonight and we were talking about people who don't like Obama. I tell my husband some I read on here," You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts." He totally agreed with and then was when i started to "witness" to him. I told him how that statement reminds me of how the watchtower society has their own opinions and trying to pull it off as a fact over the fall of jeruselem. I asked him if he remembered how that templar special also mentioned that the Fall of J was in 586 and I asked him how the society can come up with the date 1914 if all of their dates are wrong including the difference in the hewbrew calender and the gregarian calender. He nodded with me in full agreement that there was a difference, I let him know that russel used 365 days to calculate 1914. I went about how its a sham. He then said to me, "someone explained it to me before and it made sense" I then proceeded to ask him how it is possible to have one account have two different days. It is wrong.Period. No ifs and or buts about it. It does not add up. I asked him if he remembered the deffinition of cognitive dissonance, he didn't so I reminded him. He didn't say anything so i decided to get off of that subject onto how it can't be gods organization if the bible specifically says that if false prophecies and predictions were made, then it was not gods religion. Well, the bible is clear about that so why should I not be able to go to a differnt church to serve god. Why is soul to be forever damned because I am to prideful or brainwashed to seek out god and jesus at another place of worship. I aksed him if he ever had a personal relationship with jesus and if he has accepted him as his personal saviour. He said NO! what a christian.. to not accept jesus. I asked him he wanted to and he can without the WTS they don't have a Jehovah trademarked. God is everywhere and available to everyone not just Jehovah's witnesses. On the way back home I drove him by the church that I have been attending. I showed him that it is in a warehouse and not a church and its for the community and non denominational. He didn't even know what non-denomination was. He sounded more receptive to the idea today.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

VillageGirl and Phizzy:

He watched the documentary with me, so I'm sure got it right and I have it wrong. I am just too lazy to check my facts on here. But the show gave it to my hubby the correct way.

Sorry for confusing you guys

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You talk too much. He's not getting time to think. Try asking your question, then waiting for his answer.

Sometimes it is best to get them to state what their beliefs are before you ask your question, so that they don't have an opportunity to feign ignorance or pretend they don't/didn't teach/say that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit