Recap if 2013 "Special" Assembly Day

by piztjw 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• moshe
    moshe

I worked one day on that Plant City building- came back a few weekends later and saw all the can/recessed light fixtures I installed had been ripped out and relocated to different spots. I took this as an omen that my efforts weren't needed. So as not to disappoint my wife, I spent the rest of the afternoon at the flea market. I did fake work a couple more times- at the urging of my wife, to help out- instead, I went to the movies, rather than working on the assembly building. I never did another hour of work for any WT project after that. I guess my slide had started.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Great Summary. Thank you piztjw

Scott77

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Wow. You sure ain't just whistlin' dixie. We attended the new Orangeburg, SC assembly hall today and the brother announced costs associated with the one day SAD at $11,500 +- (At the time of announcement, which was mid-afternoon, the deficit was about 6 grand.)

What's going on? The thing is already bought and paid for. (There were about 1500 present, give or take a few.)

Isn't it interesting that the "deficit" is never announced at the end of the convention where an honest accounting could be made? As has been noted on other discussions here, usually the actual assembly costs are met well before the accounts report is ever made, but the speaker is ordered to announce a deficit anyway. If this is true of costs associated with renting a commercial building, then how can it not at least be equally as true for a WT-owned facility?

Regardless, there's absolutely no justification for these obsene assembly hall rents, considering the buildings are already paid for and are maintained by volunteer labor.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

piztjw - Thank you. I'm not kidding. From your outline I could fill in all the blanks. Thanks for taking one for the team! :)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The weakest conscience has final say. So this means that one scumbag has the ability to get everything banned. Or, one person banning chocolate. Another banning LED light bulbs. Another banning Internet altogether. Still another banning baking. Another deciding orange juice is taboo. Someone else thinks the only acceptable suit color is dark grey, or a dirty reddish gray. Someone else is "stumbled" because someone else might have a silver dime. Another conscience is "wounded" because of flashing red lights on your bicycle at night. Still another thinks vitamins are "not trusting in joke-hova" and gets those banned. Another decides that people should not run or walk playfully at all. A Victorian feels that everything should be frumpy, as in the Victorian era. Still another scumbag decides that personal property is not permitted since it isn't in the cat lick monastery and we are more "righteous" than the cat licks.

I am offended by people wasting energy by going out in field circus and having boasting sessions. I am also offended by supporting an organization that has such a general lack of regard for recycling--not one Kingdumb Hell I have been to recycles anything. Do they even have the latest and most efficient technology? Back in the 1990s, most witlesses lavishly wasted huge amounts of energy on lights (I had compact fluorescents back when they were actually a premium technology, and before those became available I used the Watt Miser incandescents that used 5 watts less per bulb than standard). Today, how many witlesses insist on using the latest technology for energy savings? Remember, the washtowel is in on that man-made global warming. As such, and as they believe (or claim to believe) that those ruining the earth will be ruined. Hence, do any of the witlesses do their part? How many LED lights adorn hounders' homes and Kingdumb Hell lobbies? Are the air conditioners well maintained and intelligently used? If not, they are wasting energy above and beyond that wasted just holding the boasting sessions.

So, why then can't I get boasting sessions and field circus banned and the latest energy saving technology mandated?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit