Need help with possible Bone Marrow transplant

by besunny 7 Replies latest watchtower medical

• besunny
    besunny

Good morning everyone,,I have a question I need help with. My parents are very active and faithful JW's,,my dad is an elder..My mother has become very ill over this winter and has declined greatly,,I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst,,anyway it's starting to look like she has Luekemia and we will know shortly if that's what it is.My question is about bone marrow transplants,,I do not remember if this is an accectable treatment for JW's. I hope it is!! if we match I will give her mine,,I would appreciate any input you have,,,her RBC and WBC count is decreasing,,and I know when it reaches about 7.9 (RBC's) they will suggest to transfuse,,and I know she will refuse she would rather die...It is a very upsetting situation,,but I'm trying to figure out what can be done before it comes to that,,,thank you in advance!!!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Although JWs have died refusing transplants in the past, it is no longer an issue.

• besunny
    besunny

Thank you Black Sheep,,that is so good to know :)

• thecrushed
    thecrushed

This very ironic because it is the bone marrow that is responsible for making blood. Idiotic doctrines indeed.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

It depends on who you ask though. The bone marrow transplant itself is now a "matter of conscience" I believe with strong emphasis on not disappointing their gods in making the wrong decision.

But a bone marrow transplant without supporting blood transfusions is rare and I believe there are only one or two programs in the US that do it which means expensive private clinics which your insurance may not cover, Medicare sure as hell won't.

One study writes: It is possible to perform ‘bloodless’ autologous or reduced-intensity allogeneic transplants in properly selected patients. The success of these procedures depends on the transplantation technique and on meticulous attention to blood conservation and supportive care.

• Haelcer
    Haelcer

*** w84 5/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

? Could a Christian accept a bone-marrow transplant, since blood is made in the marrow?

Doctors perform most bone-marrow transplants by withdrawing some marrow from a donor (often a near relative) and then injecting or transfusing it into the sick patient. They hope that the marrow graft will reach the patient’s marrow cavities and later function normally. Usually this procedure is considered only in critical cases (such as aplastic anemia or acute leukemia) for there are acknowledged hazards in preparing a person for a marrow graft and in treating him afterward.

As the question itself notes, red blood cells are formed in the marrow of certain bones such as the ribs, sternum and pelvic bones. Hence, it is understandable why, in the light of the Bible’s prohibition on blood, the question arises whether a Christian could accept a graft of human bone marrow.
    The Bible states clearly that God’s servants must ‘abstain from blood.’ (Acts 15:28, 29; Deuteronomy 12:15, 16) But, since red cells originate in the red bone marrow, do the Scriptures class marrow with blood? No. In fact, animal marrow is spoken of like any other flesh that could be eaten. Isaiah 25:6 says that God will prepare for his people a banquet that includes “well-oiled dishes filled with marrow.” Normal slaughtering and drainage procedures never drain all blood cells from the marrow. Yet once a carcass is drained, then any of the tissue may be eaten, including the marrow.

Of course, marrow used in human marrow transplants is from live donors, and the withdrawn marrow may have some blood with it. Hence, the Christian would have to resolve for himself whether—to him—the bone-marrow graft would amount to simple flesh or would be unbled tissue. Additionally, since a marrow graft is a form of transplant, the Scriptural aspects of human organ transplants should be considered. See “Questions From Readers” in our issue of March 15, 1980. Finally, writing in Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine (Update I, 1981, page 138), Dr. D. E. Thomas observes that “virtually all marrow transplant recipients will require platelet transfusions” and many are given “packed red blood cells.” So the Christian should consider what additional issues he would have to face if he submitted to a marrow transplant.—Proverbs 22:3.

Though a personal decision has to be made on this matter, the Bible’s comments about blood and marrow should help the individual to decide.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In the Old Testament, eating bone marrow was considered a delicacy. They were not aware of the relationship between marrow and blood.

Isaiah 25:6 "well-oiled dishes filled with marrow."

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am pretty sure the cancerous bone marrow is irradiated (killed) before the donor bone marrow is transplanted. The patient would be dangerously anemic, and I would be worried about any "bloodless" transplant procedure. Notice the emphasis above on meticulous blood conservation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit