The truth of the Resurrection

by RWC 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RWC
    RWC

At this time of Easter Christians celebrate the foundation of their faith, the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Without the resurrection, the rest of the Christian faith is in vain, with it, the whole plan of God is fulfilled and validated. In other words, if the resurrection occurred it proves the existence of God and his plan for salvation.

With that in mind, I offer the proof that the Resurrection is a historical fact that be relied upon:

1. Although we debate it here, there is no real debate among historians that Jesus was a real life person.

2. There is no real debate among historians that Jesus died on the cross and was buried in a tomb.

3. The Bible tells us that the tomb was empty in such a manner that , particularly for ancient texts, is historically reliable. For this I quote Michael Grant, a fellow at Trinity College, Cambridge and professor at Edinburgh University in his book Jesus an Historian's Review of the Gospels, "True, the discovery of the empty tomb is differently described by the various Gospels, but if we apply the same sort of criteria that we would apply toany other ancient literary sources, then the evidence is firm and plausible enough to necessitate the conlusion that the tomb was indeed found empty."

4. Paul writes in 1Corinthians 15, which is one of the earlist, if not the earlist writings about Jesus ( between A.D. 55-57), that the tomb was empty and that Jesus appeared to himself and to five hundred people some of which are still living at the time he wrote it. If this were not true, these folks could have clearly refuted it.

5. Even before Paul, there is some evidence that the Aspostles were preaching the resurrection immediately after it occurred as recorded in Acts.

6. The Gospels record a wealth of sightings of Jesus and physical interaction with him by multiple people, some individually and some in groups.

7. The circumstanital evidence in that the disciples, as eyewitnesses to the resurrection died for what they knew to be true, what they knew they saw and heard when they had interaction with the risen Lord. Far different then being willing to die for what they thought to be true, they were willing to die for something they had seen with their own eyes and touched with their own hands. There were elevan people, with no ulterior motives with nothing to gain and alot to lose who all agree that they observed something with their own eyes.

8. The skeptics of the day were converted upon experiencing the resurrected Christ. These include Paul who was Saul beforehand and James, who some claim is Jesus' brother.

9. Immediately after Jesus rose, within five weeks, over ten thousand Jews are following him and overthrowing century old social structures that they believe had been given to them by God. Those numbers continued to grow.

With all of this evidence, there is ample reason to believe that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a true historical event which validates the Christian religion and for that matter, the Bible as a whole.

God Bless

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    1. Although we debate it here, there is no real debate among historians that Jesus was a real life person.

Ha! Prove it. Best I've seen that's entirely untrue. There are lots of texts that call to task the existance of Jesus the person.

You beleive whatever you want. But accept you must beleive it on faith, because whatever 'proof' you think you has is not 'proof' of anything. Just because someone wrote it down doesn't make it true.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Very good argument. Still not convinced. Just because the tomb was empty does not really prove anything to me. There could be a number of explanations why the tomb was empty if the account is really true; for instance maybe there were grave robbers. Anyway, nice try.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

RWC:
    [QUOTE]9. Immediately after Jesus rose, within five weeks, over ten thousand Jews are following him and overthrowing century old social structures that they believe had been given to them by God. Those numbers continued to grow]

I think that is one of the major proofs ... there was a REAL power behind the movement...hugh in numbers for that time. If the internet would have been around at the day of Pentacost, a majority of the world would have been converted through emails...(think of the picture downloads alone). It was an unstoppable message, again, with real power behind it that a before apathetic people took hold of and changed a large part of the known world (including measuring our years with the calendar we use today).

Right....he didn't really exist....okay he existed, but he wasn't Devine. Ok, He was Devine, but His message is not relevant now....YEAH, RIGHT.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Not that i believe what i'm going to say, but it might have been a possibility:
    Remember the authorties who arrested Jesus didn't know what he looked like, they were to identify him by Judas' kiss. Perhaps it was planned that someone else was to take Jesus' place so Jesus can live on and preach under an assumed name. Jesus never actually died, thats why he was seen later. I know there are lots of holes in this and I don't even believe it but it just goes to show that there are many other rebuttles to theses 'proofs'. As I learned from being a witness (not from the witnesses) you can prove whatever you want to believe!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

The authorities that went to arrest him might not have recognized him (nighttime, dark, cheap torches) and therefore the "judas kiss", but certainly at the trials they would have recognized or an imposter.

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

perhaps...But I cant tell the difference between them in the greatest man book. only can tell them from their clothes. Oh, the fat grey haired one I can tell apart. But they all looked the same. Wern't Jews not supposed to cut their sidelocks back then? How come all those pictures are JW looking people with beards? And Jesus himself said that the greatest show of love is when you sacrifice you own life for someone else. Perhaps he convinced an apostle to take his place. (arguing for the sake of arguing, sorry)

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    And Jesus himself said that the greatest show of love is when you sacrifice you own life for someone else. Perhaps he convinced an apostle to take his place.

That's the point, He showed the greatest love by sacrificing his life. Besides, all the apostles were accounted for, including the defunked Judas.

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO
    With all of this evidence, there is ample reason to believe that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is a true historical event which validates the Christian religion and for that matter, the Bible as a whole.

dream on rwc

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

AHHHH, but what a DREAM if it IS real!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit