Is AAWA a non profit? Or is the application still in consideration?

by wha happened? 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm going to take donations for my daughter to do an education abroad trip. Teaching a young person about other people and cultures and instilling respect and love for all is probably the most worthy cause around. EVERYBODY profits. We hope to set up a kickstarter account :)

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

The last time I set up a 501c3 we started to engage the process of filing with the IRS and our attorney advised it was unnecessary so long as our charter and bylaws were set up properly as a 501c3 and we abided by our bylaws. Has something changed since 2010?

Marvin Shilmer

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Anyone can use PayPal without being a non-profit to ask for donations.

Yes, but there's a catch for nonprofits. From PayPal:

Note: This button is intended for fundraising. If you are not raising money for a cause, please choose another option. Nonprofits must verify their status to withdraw donations they receive. Users that are not verified nonprofits must demonstrate how their donations will be used, once they raise more than $10,000.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the extra info betterdaze !

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I see a lot of holes in the process of becoming a non profit, and collecting funds as a non profit. So far flying under the radar...

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

wha happened, would you mind telling us what name was on the receipt?

Was it AWAA the corporate entity or was it their Treasurer or someone else?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The Donations Coordinator:

The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists

[email protected]

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Thanks. That would indicate the Treasurer, no? The Treasurer who perjured himself in the Articles of Incorporation to cover for an anonymous Interwebz character from a former communist nation pretending to live in Arizona.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Well since non profit is no where to be found on my donation, I have to assume this is a business

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

They can be a nonprofit without being tax exempt under 501(c)(3). It appears that they incorporated as a nonprofit, so I don't think they would be misrepresenting by calling themselves such. One of the main disadvantages of not being a 501(c)(3) is that contributors cannot make tax deductions for contributions.

Any nonprofit that wants to sustain itself long-term from public donations is obviously well served by obtaining tax exempt status. People are often willing to give more if they are getting a tax break. But even if they don't have tax exempt statuts, it doesn't mean they have to pay taxes on everything coming in the door. It would depend where it's coming from and what they are doing with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit