Interesting discussion with EX-JW ...

by Newly Enlightened 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I can't state for 100% certainty. Maybe I'll become a mason (I am a legacy technically and have the ring to prove it), and then I can report back to you guys.

Regardless, I think the history of the early 20th century was ripe with secret societies and symbolism that honestly was not really considered a big deal. Remember they were using the cross back then as well. It simply wasn't an issue. Even if he was, it was most likely as a cultural mens club, and not a sophisticated conspirital group.

This iobsession with Masons and Illuminati confounds me. It comes from the understanding rightfully so that very few people contain most of the worlds power. But I think we are blowing up the organizations just a bit. And why would you correct someone that thought you were larger and more menacing than you actually are? You wouldn't! :)

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

I appreciate JWS for adding Barbara Anderson's thread about Russell being a Mason.

I don't know if he was or not, but I do know that he was into pyramids, he did have the Mason & Egyptian symbols all over his literature and he was favorable towards them. They even had a small news blurb about Mason's in a 1895 WT, in a good light.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I believe that Russell himself wasn't a freemason, but had good connections - possibly family connections - into that community and used them to advance the interests on the Bible Students.

Eden

• Stubborn Disbeliever
    Stubborn Disbeliever

Really??! Interesting! Having been JW AND LDS, I don't doubt it! That is quite interesting. I think it's time to do some more research on the Masons. Mom, do you have any tips on where to start?? You can just email me info if you want. Hmm. I'm smirking...that is so fascinating!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit