Iran is so beautiful - take a quick trip ...

by fulltimestudent 18 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Americans are really fortunate - this ancient object is currently ( I believe) touring through America, courtesy of the British Museum.

It's the Cyrus Cylinder, likely the first statement of Human Rights in history. Impressive? Well, the Jews thought so, they managed to re-write their history somewhat and make room for Cyrus to be the Messiah of Yahweh. So this probably Zoroastrian worshipper became associated with Judaism and then Christianity and his title of Shahenshar - King of Kings borrowed for Jesus.

The Iranchamber has a translation, if you'd like to read it. http://www.iranchamber.com/history/cyrus/cyrus_charter.php

And the Director of the British Museum discusses its significance and the reaction of contemporary Iranians when it was exhibited in Iran:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/03/neil-macgregor-cyrus-cylinder

• new22day
    new22day

FTS - Wow - thanks for the photo trip to Iran. Some really beautiful pictures and diverse landscapes. I had no clue. Also appreciate the summary you provided of the history. Bet it's an interesting course you are taking. Love to go there but can't imagine it being too safe to travel. (?)

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

FTS, thank you for this. Realy brought home to me that we are people, no matter where we are on this earth.

• talesin
    talesin

fulltimestudent, have you read Marjane Satrapi's books, Persepolis I and II, and Embroideries? I haven't seen the country, but her graphic novels really give a more realistic image of what Iranian people (Persians) are all about. Nice OP, the Iranian people are lovely, I have been blessed to know several folk from that fascinating land.

xo

tal

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It's the Cyrus Cylinder, likely the first statement of Human Rights in history. Impressive? Well, the Jews thought so, they managed to re-write their history somewhat and make room for Cyrus to be the Messiah of Yahweh. So this probably Zoroastrian worshipper became associated with Judaism and then Christianity and his title of Shahenshar - King of Kings borrowed for Jesus.

Fascinating thanks for this and the vid. You have a very open mind, very refreshing. I keep meaning to find out more about Zoroaster because he was part of that upsurge of sentience aroung 400-500 BC along with Plato, Buddha and Confucius. So many of the things these guys said were then blended into Christianity, particularly the golden rule.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was going to mention Persopolis. Enjoyed the film.

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

The Cyrus Cylinder will be at the MFAH (Houston) for most of May and part of June. Will be attending several lectures related to the exhibition.

Looking forward to it, usually am able to have further discussions with the lecturers.

Would be glad to field any questions anyone might have concerning the CC, or any related topics.

neverscreamagain

• glenster
  • ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

We tried to get authorization to travel to Iran through Long Beach University's group travel with their teacher of phD Persian Studies. My friend was told he needed to pay $25,000 for his birth certificate and citizenship. His father left during it looked like the Shaw was going down good choice he made! You should go and attend school in Iran and get your degree, we got lots of Iranians on waitlist who would trade you in a heart-beat. Jump at the chance to go to college in a cultural rich city and make sure you are wearing your Burka and full body garb.

His mother returned from a six month visit and we looked at all her videos, it's very messed up and those old ways are not dying one bit! I found out I could travel for $10k for three weeks since I have never visited Isreal on my passport.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit