Today's Puzzler: Why did the SUV just stay there?

by Open mind 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

On my morning commute today in a residential area, there was an SUV driving in the same lane I was in, but about a block ahead of me. The SUV pulls over just past a bus stop where a young lady is already waiting for a bus. The SUV lets off a passenger who starts walking back to the bus stop.

As I'm now nearing the SUV, I begin to slow down because I know there's a good chance he might absent-mindedly just pull back out in front of me without looking.

But he didn't. He just stayed there. And stayed there, while I crept past.

Can you think of any idea why?

(First correct answer gets an extra day of eternal non-existence!)

om

• Glander
    Glander

The driver was waiting to make sure the passenger got on the bus. Then he would pull into traffic and, having noticed that you noticed him, he would follow you until he could pull up alongside and shoot you.

You were very lucky today, my friend.

Stay thirsty.

• jgnat
    jgnat

His passenger was a pioneer dropping off a tract at the bus stop on her way to school.

He was tommy texter and as a good citizen, did it while parked.

• Open mind
    Open mind

jgnat: Bingo!!

My JW "spidey sense" started going off big time as I watched the middle-aged woman leaving the SUV wearing a peasant dress. As I drove past, I recognized her face from a nearby congo.

Part of my brain wanted to yell out the window "Run!! It's a cult!!"

But mostly I just thought "What a complete waste of time, gas and energy".

om

• Glander
    Glander

You left out a pertinent clue..."she was wearing a pheasant dress"....

My scenario was more dramatic, even without the bird costume.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Pheasant dress:

Pheasant

Peasant dress:

Mennonite

• Open mind
    Open mind

@ Glander: "You left out a pertinent clue..."she was wearing a pheasant dress".... "

Peasant, Glander, peasant!

Yeah, if I had included that detail, there would have been no puzzle whatsoever.

om

• Open mind
    Open mind

Great pix jgnat!

om

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

"What a complete waste of time, gas and energy".

Even when I was "in", I thought about that a lot. I've often wondered if someone did a comparative study of the different religions' carbon footprints, what would they find?

My guess is the JW's would be on or very near the worst. Just think of all the paper products, toxic printing chemicals, fuel used driving in f.s. and driving to assemblies and conventions.

The Watchtower likes to point their finger at the rest of religions grand buildings in a negative way, but these buildings generally last for hundreds of years. On the other hand, your average Watchtower building is either remodeled or replaced every 15-20!

• Open mind
    Open mind

@ Queequeg: " if someone did a comparative study of the different religions' carbon footprints, what would they find?"

Sounds like a good job for the Pew Research Institute.

(They've already shown JWs to have the worst born-in retention rate and to be among the poorest educated among Americans with a religious background.)

Were you one of those JWs who would drive from one end of the territory to the other doing RVs with the goal being to use as much time and fuel as possible?

I certainly was towards the end of my stint with the JWs. Really grated on my wife's nerves until she finally started to smell the JW coffee.

om

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit