Commitee and disfellowshipment

by Freeof1914 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freeof1914
    Freeof1914

I have only posted on here several times, but I am constantly reading what others post. I guess I am more of a reader than author. That being said I am happy to announce I am no longer one of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I was in my committee case last night and that was the outcome. The interesting thing and the reason of my post is to just highlight some observation from my committee. Firstly let me start by saying that I come from a very hardcore witness family on both my side and my wife's side of the family. I was at one point also very involved and was gung ho. My wife continues to be. I was involved in an inappropiate relationship some five years ago, all of which came to light in the past weeks. Out of respect to my wife and her asking me to please see the elders I did, I felt it was the least I could do for her. I own my mistake and I regret hurting her like that.

The interesting thing is that although the committee was for something of a sexual nature the questioning took on a whole different tone. The elders have been aware for some time of my doubts regarding the Witnesses' beliefs. I spoke to a cousin of mine candidly about these doubts simply in a form of conversation, not trying to make his faith crumble. I spoke to him as friend. Apparently, he went and told the elders the things I had mentioned. They asked me if I had spoken to him of my doubts, I said yes I did the same way I spoke to you of my doubts. They proceeded to drill me about this asking me, Do you think this is the ONLY truth? I responded by saying I do believe that they bible is the best way to live. I began to tell them about my ideas regarding doubts. I stated, " Doubts are what help a faith become solid. If I had no doubts then I would not investigate my own beleifs and this is not the type of faith that can be solid, it is not the christian faith, it is simply blindly following the ideas of men and not what the Bible has told us to do." They all agreed on this point.

After this conversation they began to give me a guilt trip about the harm I am causing my family by being inactive and having doubts. I told them isn't more harmful that I lie to them and act as if I believe everything? I then asked them if this is the truth and I am hypocritcally serving Jehovah, and not having faith in HIS organization, what good would it do? It would be the same as lip service. They agreed.

They then asked if I had anything else to tell them I said, Yes I do. I smoke cigarettes, occasionally smoke marihuana and have gotten drunk publicaly from time to time! Too bad I couldn't snap a picture of their faces when I said this.

Afterward they did the customary routine of asking me to wait on their decision. When I was called back they told me their decision I WAS BEING DISFELLOWSHIPPED BECAUSE OF THE DOUBTS, MY LACK OF BELIEF THAT THIS WAS THE ORGANIZATION!!! After all the other things I told them about the most severe for them was NOT my betrayal of my wife, smoking, drinking, drugs but DOUBTS!!! INCREDIBLE!!

The last thing I said to them as I left was, "Funny, I don't recall Jesus shunning Thomas for not believing. In fact he showed him the PROOF necessary to support the claims of the other apostles. THAT is your responsiblity to your flock and you have not fulfilled it, instead you choose to cast me off because of those doubts. EXCELLENT shephards. Good night!" It felt amazing, walked out of there feeling like I had been liberated.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Cults shoot their wounded, it's an identifying marker of what? CULTS.

What a great last word you got in. Good riddance; to THEM!

- Wing Commander

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

My first thoughts are "how is your marriage affected?" Will you stay married? Do you have children because they will be affected by this also. I hope you can ceal with your wife and family on a personal level, regardless of how the congregation will treat you.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I do think this is very logical. What the org feares most is apostacy. There could be some troubles with sexual relationships, drinking, drugs, etc....even paedophilia. But these things doen't threat the power of the organisation. But doubts and "apostacy" does.

This shown that the main reason of those committies is to protect the organisation, not the individual JW.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Good for you. I love what you said in the last paragraph. Fu%K em.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Funny. My committee showed me something similar--the elders barely seemed to care at all about fornication but spent close to 5 hours questioning me about my doubts. My sin was hidden for what, maybe six months, at most? And my wife, who was equally guilty, was commenting at meetings a month later, no big deal.

But the elder on my committee said to me, "We're not here to prove the truth to you." Something like that. So apparently, elders actually don't feel any sort of responsibility to provide proof for the doctrine. They don't want to debate with you--and probably they've been instructed to avoid that if possible, for obvious reasons. They only want to know if you believe it, which is your only option. If you don't, that's it.

I see they asked you the 'loyalty question'. I think it's only fair to ask them, what exactly does true Christianity involve? If one is asking a comprehensive question of the existence of one's Christian faith, is this the right question to ask? The Bible says that the antichrist is one who denies the Father and the Son. So is it antichrist, or antiorganization that 1 John talks about? I mean, they base shunning on this very same concept, based on 2 John, right? Basically, they're asking you to assign a meaning to apostasy that doesn't exist in scripture, that goes beyond what is written. So looking at it that way, there is no reason for a Christian to answer that question, and even less reason for a fellow Christian to be asking it.

But in your dedication (post-1985, at least), you made a dedication to an organization. And that, of course, is the reason for the question.

Hmm. It raises the question of what was going on in your life that brought you to this point? None of my business, though. Thanks for sharing.

--sd-7

• Slavenomore
    Slavenomore

1914 and sd-7,

your committee experiences sound so strange. But then again all is strange in the borg. Just to get this straight you went and admitted to the "sins" that the JC was called in for and then your peppered with loyalty questions? Is this a new policy? Never were we instructed to ascertain loyalty issues. I don't think the PATTF book puts loyalty to the Borg above all other "sins" or does it. It's been so long. I guess I want to know is this a new policy. Maybe the committee chairman will chime in? Or anyone else. It seems like a JC for adultery would be a quick one if everyone's up front that is. Sounds like disloyalty is a trump card. Or is it just these particular JCs? Anyone know?

I hope it works out for you, whatever direction your life takes. You are not alone by any measure.

Slavenomore

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Good for you. Hopefully your wife will wake up to.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Such hypocrisy! If you are already a JW, examination of your beliefs is prohibited. The Elder's actions actually are in opposition to WT counsel- but we all know this applies to other religions, not Jehovah's Witnesses:

w68 7/1 p.389 Is Your Religion the True One?

There is a way to tell. Do you know how?

"HOW am I to know for sure that my religion is the true one?"

It is natural that you should desire not to be misled. But how can you avoid it? How can you know for sure that your religion is the true one? It can be done by finding out whether its teachings are supported by God’s Word, which Jesus said is the truth. (John 17:17) ...

So the test is a relatively easy one to make. If a religion is not in accord with what the Bible teaches, then it is not in harmony with truth. It is not the true religion. (Rom. 3:4) You have nothing to fear in examining your beliefs by the standard of God’s Word, for if you have the true religion you can only be reassured. And if what you believe is not in keeping with the Bible, then you should welcome the truth, because it leads to eternal life.—John 17:3.

---

The Elders made it clear what's really important to them: it is not spiritual shepherding or correcting error. It is not even disciplining a person for sin. It is loyalty to the Organization, nothing more.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's very disturbing that one can be disfellowshipped for just having doubts,despite everything else you confessed.

It's kind of scary,they really are the thought police.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit