Controversial essay- cull 20% of the poor.

by fulltimestudent 26 Replies latest social current

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Fastest growing industry in UK is food banks.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

And I think that is becoming the norm everywhere around the world - when the poverty line extends into those who work full time and still cannot pay for the necessities of live (according to the standards within their country), then there is something very wrong with how we have decided to set up our systems. We should go back and revisit a time when only one parent HAD to work outside the home and the family could still meet the needs of daily living - and re-examine all things from tax codes to welfare to the cost of education, food, grants, subsidies, immigration, free trade, security etc. sammieswife

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

you get the poor and then here in SA you get those that breed children to get more government grants to spend on themselves, their phones, their clothes and not a cent goes to the child. The child is then on the street begging.

you then get donors that send money to SA NPO's and the agents in the NPO's steal, defraud the monies - just had a client report they have a whole syndicate going on - sorry a bit off topic - but )(^&(*^^&%%*&^*^&*(^&*%&^%907

• jgnat
    jgnat

The poor people here who are trying to make their way off (addictions, FASD) often have to make a couple trial runs before they succeed. Programs are based on available funding (no more than 3 months), not on how long it takes to get a person on their feet.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a food bank director who thinks we shouldn't have them, Nick Saul of "The Stop".

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/05/12/rethinking_the_food_bank_its_no_longer_just_about_handing_out_food_to_the_hungry.html

• *lost*
    *lost*

Ireland - had only just got out of the poverty grip. Now it's back in worse than ever. People there are struggling to survive.

WHO CREATED THIS MASSIVE RECESSION BY THE WAY - THE WEALTHY, ELITE, LAWYERS, POLITICIANS, BUILDERS, BANKERS, ACCOUNTANTS, have I forgotten anyone ?

The UK - well just look at the history of immigration. It's a joke.

I think we are shortly about to see the demise of the European Union as a failure.

Germany has a new political party and they want out of the euro.

England wants out of EU too.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Before going any further, I suggest reading A Modest Proposal, by Jonathan Swift.

That said, this idea of culling the poor is nonsense. First off, there is not much wealth that would be absorbed by eliminating them, because they really don't have much of anything. Maybe they have less than nothing, with debt and liability factored in. Now if you want the most wealth available to the population, you would kill off the 20% of the wealthiest people, because THAT'S where the money is.

Going even more basic, I want to know why is it that the poor, or anyone else, must have these little slips of paper or digits in an account to live? Why can't they get what they need to live without having to first earn that paper, or grovel for it? Setting the system up so they have to get that paper has made them dependent on it, so why do these wise people never propose doing away with a system that makes people use those slips of paper?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit