Why do prisoners need to hear the word of God, not the words of atheists?

by His Excellency 10 Replies latest jw friends

• His Excellency
    His Excellency

Sorry for my english, I'm just a beginner

I have recently been thinking of why prisoners are often visited by Pastors and not Atheists?, and I have also wondered what an atheist would tell to comfort someone who is in prison.

For instance, What will you recommend for an inmate to read if you visit him or her in a prison cell?, "God is not great- How religion poisons everything?" or "What does the bible really teach"?.

Which of these two expressions would you use to comfort an inmate?, " I think this circumstance presents a good opportunity for you to draw more closer to God" or would you rather say " You really have to come to terms with your death, we are all a product of evolution, and when we die we return to nothingness

Atheists in the house, What words of comfort would you share with an inmate?

• His Excellency
  • zed is dead
    zed is dead

Let him know that he gets 3 hots and a cot, and that at least he doesn't have to work for 50 cents a day like you.

zed

• His Excellency
  • Messerschmitt
    Messerschmitt

His Excellency, you have a pm.

• His Excellency
    His Excellency

check your PM

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

What about giving them the option of hearing the Word of Satan? If they knew the truth about Satan, they might realize they have better options than being in gangs and addicted to drugs. And the ones in for such things as violating taboos on free speech or dealing in illegal vitamins or growing their own food don't need to become addicted to drugs or join gangs. Which often happens when they hear about Jesus and all the restrictions that thing places on fulfillment. "I'm a dirty rotten sinner, and only Jesus can save me." How often that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I would encourage a prisoner to read the books on Morals and Ethics and how to live a good life written by secular humanists.

• Caedes
    Caedes

Perhaps its just a supply and demand thing and there aren't enough atheists in prison to warrant the service.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What about in Hospitals as well, would I be appointed as a "chaplain" in a Hospital as a non-believer ?

many prisoners and Hospital patients, believers themselves or not, may well like to have the services of a non-judgemental secularist counsellor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit