Books for making a choice to believe in the Bible or not

by Aunt Fancy 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

mP, I think you have traded one alarmist (WT) for another. First clue, using "Secret" in the book title.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Thank you everyone, this will give me a good start.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Regarding the previous recommendation of Bert Ehrman, here is a response. Ehrman has been debunked in more ways than one. His arguments seem persuasive (and have persuaded some who don't care to look at both sides) until you get down to the actualevidence. This is a long video, answering Ehrmans claims. Shorter videos debunking Ehrman can be found. But this is a pretty thorough one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0C6k7XjFnw

and here is both sides together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTUrvTTRAQ

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Bart Ehrman and Burton L. Mack probably have the same fault- trying to draw a conclusion from insufficient evidence in some details. This doesn't mean they are wrong- just that they may have gone too far in their attempt to write a unique book about the Bible. There does seem to be widespread agreement among Bible scholars about most of the Bible's composition, though.

• mP
    mP

jgnat

mP, I think you have traded one alarmist (WT) for another. First clue, using "Secret" in the book title.

mP:

Not quite, the secret refers to the fact that most religions never discuss the true meanings of language and culture of the middle east at the time the bible was written. Its an unpleasent secret that they dont want explored because the jewish people customs and beliefs as told in the bible are quite different from what most people think it says. We can read the bible for ourselves but there are other aspects that we are unaware because we are unlearned on this topic. Callahan discusses the myths and meanings of words etc as found in the bible. Theres no conspiracy crap in the book, its just a scholarly review of what the Bible really says and means.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit