I just finished The Silmarillion. Any suggestions on next Tolkien to read?

by sd-7 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tolkien was by far the more deliberate writer. I mean, he wrote entire languages, family trees, maps and cultures in which his characters romped. There's less of his work than contemporary C. S. Lewis. Lewis's work is highly imaginitive but it is not as integrated as Tolkein's. Here's an article that describes their relationship and how they encouraged each other to write mythical fiction.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Simarillion was published posthumously by Tolkein's son.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I remember rushing to the bookstore to buy The Silmarillion first edition in hardback... still have it. I was greatly disappointed, as it is not nearly as readable as either The Hobbit or The Lord Of the Rings. The background is interesting to the diehard fans, but really it is a bear to read

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

The Silmarillion is a very very very interesting book... it is in essence even better then the Lord of the Rings. Espessially the creation of the elves, dwarfes etc is awesome.

I have also read "unfinished tales" of Tolkien but these are not completed stories as I remember them. I want to read Children of Hurin too in the future (i have just finished The Wheel of Time Saga by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson which I can also recommend!)

• zoiks
    zoiks

The Silmarillion was an amazing book to read. I haven't had the opportunity to read "The Children of Hurin"; I own and have read "Unfinished Tales", "The Book of Lost Tales" 1 and 2, "The Languages of Middle Earth", and "Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham". All are good.

I wish I had time to read them all again. Maybe in a few years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit