"I'll see you at the movies." RIP Roger Ebert

by MrFreeze 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• Finkelstein
  • moshe
    moshe

He made mistakes-- I agree, Gladiator was a good movie. He didn't care for Blade Runner either- Great movies live forever- great film critics end up as a dusty article on wikipedia.

http://rogersworst.blogspot.com/

I'm glad his suffering is over. RIP Roger Ebert.

• sir82
    sir82

Believe it or not he has (had ) a JW connection:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/01/nil_by_mouth.html

Talking about just after his loss of his jaw and inability to eat:

One day in the hospital my brother-in-law Johnny Hammel and his wife Eunice came to visit. They are two of my favorite people. They're Jehovah's Witnesses, and know I'm not. I mention that because they interpreted my story in terms of their faith. I described my fantasies about root beer. I could smell it, taste it, feel it. I desired it. I said I'd remembered so clearly that day with my father for the first time in 60 years.

"You never thought about it before?" Johnny asked.

"Not once."

"Could be, when the Lord took away your drinking, he gave you back that memory."

Whether my higher power was the Lord or Cormac McCarthy, those were the words I needed to hear. And from that time I began to replace what I had lost with what I remembered. If I think I want an orange soda right now, it is after all only a desire. People have those all the time. For that matter, when I had the chance, when was the last time I held one of those tall Nehi glass bottles? I doubt I ever had one from a can.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I kind of agreed with him on Clockwork Orange. Gladiator, I completely disagreed with him on but he made points that could be seen as valid criticisms.

• glenster
    glenster

In January 2005, film critic Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times said
    in an article that Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo was overlooked for an Academy
    Award because "nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running
    Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic." Schneider responded two weeks later
    with full-page ads in Daily Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, saying he had
    done research and found that Mr. Goldstein had never won any journalistic
    awards, commenting, "Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't
    invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never
    Been Acknowledged by His Peers." Schneider also wrote, "Patrick, I can honestly
    say that if I sat with you and your colleagues at a luncheon, afterward, they'd
    say 'You know, that Rob Schneider is a pretty intelligent guy, I hope we can do
    that again.' Whereas, if you sat with my colleagues, after lunch, you would just
    be beaten beyond recognition." He also called Goldstein a "real scumbag" in an
    appearance on Tom Green's House Tonight when referring to Goldstein's
    criticisms, and opined that Goldstein's criticism was unimaginative. Patrick
    publicly asked, "Who are Schneider's colleagues and why would I want to have
    lunch with them?"[citation needed]

In August 2005, film critic Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times responded to
    the Schneider-Goldstein conflict in his review for Deuce Bigalow: European
    Gigolo. While noting that an online search showed that Goldstein had won a
    National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com
    award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement, Ebert said, "As
    chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified.
    Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your
    movie sucks." (Ebert's 2007 collection of reviews of movies for which he gave
    negative reviews was titled Your Movie Sucks, a reference to his review of Deuce
    Bigalow: European Gigolo.) In a later interview with Stuff magazine, Schneider
    called Ebert an "ass", saying that Ebert "irks" him and that he had been told
    that Ebert is "not nice to the people he works with." Ebert rejected the
    accusation, and reaffirmed his opinion of the film, stating, "If he's going to
    persist in making bad movies, he's going to have to grow accustomed to reading
    bad reviews." On May 7, 2007, Roger Ebert reported via his website that he had
    received a beautiful bouquet of flowers with a note stating it was from "Your
    least favorite actor, Rob Schneider." Ebert had recently undergone a very
    serious surgery to remove a cancerous salivary gland, and spent months
    recovering. Ebert saw the flowers as a kind gesture and publicly thanked
    Schneider, and said that Schneider may have made a bad film, but he was not a
    bad man. Ebert also expressed hope that Schneider would make a film that Ebert
    finds wonderful.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Schneider#Disputes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit