Re H20 - I need your ideas/suggestions

by Kismet 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

In view of the recent announcement and subsequent discussion regarding the fate of H20 I am looking at buying the domain and all the archives of H20 from Rick.

I believe I can get it hosted at a local ASP with which I have a great relationship. This is where I need your creative genius. I believe we could generate greater revenue from banners that are geared to the audience (kickboxing 101 lessons might be useful but ...). The Anon banner there just doesn't cut it.

Two audience centric banners could cover most of the monthly costs. The other possibility is to register it as a charity/ not for profit company, thus those who use the site could make donations and get tax benefits..at least those from the US and Canada.

Now I personally do NOT have the technical expertise to run the site as it is now set up, scripts etc... Considering the volume of H20 what discussion softwarre is the best out there. If I was to get Rick to agree to this, would any of you be in a position to assist on the technical side of things? Do you know anyone that would?

For close to 5 years, H20 has been the foremost site for intellectual debate on matters relating to JW's and their doctrines and history. It is a unique place that should IMO keep going. It is also the primary online concern of the WTBS (along with Kent's site). I am perturbed to think of the glee going on in Brooklyn over this possibility of H20's closing.

In the meantime if we can transfer it to my ASP, I will cover the costs of keeping H20 going until we get it organised to a point where it becomes self sufficient.

The scariest part of this for me is that I would have to put my name or at least a company name (with my real name as the proprietor) out on the web.Thus Kismet will be known by all to be a disgusting vile evil apostate and all the repurcussions that go along with that. Unless ofc ourse someone else doesn't mind adding their name...

I am rambling now but again I am interested in your thoughts, ideas etc.

Thanks.

Kismet/ [email protected]

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Kismet,
    I agree with you.
    It's also my opinion that H20 is to valuable a site to let it just close down.
    I don't have any technical expertise myself but I'm sure there are many who do.
    As far as donations to the site,didn't Rick have the same set up?
    Hopefully,we can come up with some ideas.

neyank

• mommy
    mommy

Kismet,
    You can use my name if you want:) I am not an apostate I just think like one!
    wendy

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Kismet, unfortunately my expertise is all on the mainframe side. Now, if you need a whizbang IDMS database programmer....I'm there.

I'm just wondering if Obed might possibly offer some technical assistance in setting things up? He's the only one I can think of (other than Simon) who would have the right credentials to assist. Oh, wait.....how about Big Ray? LOL

• Simon
    Simon

I'm knowledgeable about MS web stuff - IIS, ASP, VB, SQL Server, XML etc... so if you intend to use this then I could help.
    Depends on which software you use which depends on which server languages are available. If it's all unix then you will probably be looking at Perl (UBB) or PHP (vBulletin).
    Let us know some more technical details...

• TR
    TR

Just voicing my support, Kismet. Be it non-profit or commercial. I'd support it.

TR

BTW, Simon, get ready for another rush! The second coming?! I like the format on your forum better. H20, the way it is, is a pain for me to read.

Edited by - TR on 4 February 2001 4:2:28

• Kismet
    Kismet

I am still waiting to hear from Rick to see if he will even agree to this suggestion.

In the meanwhile, THANK YOU all for your comments of support and your ofers. It is appreciated.

As I learn more I will keep you advised.

Thanks again.

Kismet

• obiefernandez
    obiefernandez

Howdy,

Kismet, has Rick contacted you yet? You have my support but I won't be the one to buy/operate the site as ISP and others have suggested. PS>> Did you give yourself away as FD2 on purpose?

Obed

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

Kismet, I'm sending your post by email to Wolfgang. I know he has the knowledge and expertise to help you out, and we also have two servers here. He was just talking yesterday about the possibilities of taking it over to keep it open, even though he never goes to Ex sites anymore. I'll get back with you privately about it as soon as he reads my note.

Hugs,
    RCat

• Kismet
    Kismet

Obed:

You of all people should know the risks associated with trying to speculate on people's identities.

I can understand where you might have gotten the impression I was FD2. (Thanks for the compliment BTW) I know Rick is considering FD2's offer but I wanted to make one myself so he had several options)

Should you desire to inquire further as to my identity, I would suggest you contact me by email. You have a personal one from your mailing list as well as the mod101 address.

I would look forward to discussing the future of H20 with you should Rick ever get back to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit