A handy CHRONOLOGY of the life and times of Charles and Maria Russell

by Terry 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• therevealer
    therevealer

Okay, My bad. After reading the comment by scenic viewer I did find it. for some reason using the find function did not pull it up for me. But it is interesting to read it in context of the article. Doesn't quite say he is rejected by today's witnesses. Not that it matters cuz they are goofy as hell anyways. but I did find it interesting.

• Scott77
    Scott77

marked

• Terry
    Terry

THE BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE regularly reported on the activities of "Pastor" Russell. Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916) was the founder of the cult known as Millennial Dawn (and as "Russellism") which in 1931 morphed into Jehovah's Witnesses.

Headline: RUSSELL FOLLOWER ON "FALLEN ANGELS" (Jan. 22, 1913)

The "fallen angels" referred to Russell's doctrine that supernatural demons could assume human shape and impersonate him and make "improper advances" to women.

------------------------------------

Contents of a letter written to the Editor of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle:

"Editor Brooklyn Daily Eagle:

"I learn with considerable interest of the articles your paper is publishing relative to the notorious Pastor Russell, late of Allegheny, Pa., and now of Brooklyn. I have not had the pleasure of reading your strictures, but should very much like to do so, as would very many more in this country. Will you kindly send me all that you have published on this matter and keep me posted with the accounts of the coming action for slander that I have been told Mr. Russell has lodged against you?

"Mr. Russell has a pretty good following in this country, but numbers have left him owing to his extraordinary and insane teaching that he and his followers are dying in behalf of the world. That of course means that he is dying for the editor of The Eagle too!

"He has also deluded thousands of followers into believing that Christ returned to this earth in 1874, though in a spirit body and therefore invisible to the natural eye. Very many have gone so far as to sell their homes over here, expecting to die before 1914 (at the latest), and many others have so arranged their affairs as to last till that date only.

"I myself was connected with his movement for twelve years, but my eyes, thank God, are now opened.

"When one leaves their society because of enlightenment, Mr. Russell at once advises his followers to shun such an one and counsels his followers never to read anything emanating from any other source but his own pen!

"I could write to you for a week telling of the bitterness and sorrow that this man Russell has left in many a Christian home here in England. With best wishes for your success in your fight against hypocrisy and humbug."

"A.G. BULL"

------------------------------------------------

And finally....

The Eagle's 1916 article continued with:

For several years Pastor Russell has done little if any preaching in Brooklyn. Last year he won some more undesirable publicity because of charges by Mrs. Elizabeth Galbraith of Atlantic City, N. J. that he had spirited away her 17-year-old daughter, Ruth, an heiress, and was preventing the girl"s return home. Mrs. Galbraith won out in habeas corpus proceedings instituted to get back Ruth.
  • AnnaNana
    AnnaNana

It's so difficult to know truly what happened. We can't exactly interview any of the people involved at present. But bad things do happen in every organization. Sometimes really bad things.

Having personally wrestled with the mishandling of justice in the organization, I can see more clearly the following:

(1) What Solomon said about man ruling man to his injury is true.

(2) Solomon himself as well as the nation of ancient Israel are examples that Jehovah tolerates within his organization those who mishandle justice at times on a large scale. (David, Saul, Manasseh, Jeroboam, etc...)

(3) Jehovah will repay (where is Solomon's temple today? Gone. Those who misrepresent God will be just as "gone" at God's appointed time.)

(4) Jehovah has chosen to put his name on an imperfect organization and allow it to stay there despite the fact that many teachings still obviously need to be clarified and certain people may seem to get away with things at present.

(5) As Solomon wrote, "the conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: fear the true God and keep his commandments, for that is the whole obligation of man."

After the Flood, there was the rainbow. Today, things are a mess. Everywhere. It will be fixed eventually. We have a work to do to preach and teach about the Kingdom. Jesus said so. Jehovah's Witnesses as an organization is where God put His Name at present. Jehovah is using them to do a work, though they do it imperfectly. He will clean house, and everybody will know when He does it (Ezekiel 9:6). The first plagues in ancient Egypt affected both the Egyptians and Jews. It will be the same when false religion today is taken out. The angels will remove those causing a stumbling from the Kingdom.

I am thankful God's Word clarifies matters. It's not easy to be at the raw end of the deal as regards injustice or abuse or teachings that need to be clarified. "Vengeance is mine, I will repay" says Jehovah. Thankfully, we don't have to take it into our own hands. Jehovah always takes out the bad guys, with style. "Just a little while longer." Praised be Jehovah.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I haven't read all of the posts, but the OP's date of 1881 for the acquisition of the Beecher home at 124 Columbia Heights is, I think, wrong. I think they were still using the Bible House in Allegheny until 1906 or 1907, then bought the Beecher home and moved to Brooklyn. I'm going from memory, so if I am wrong, let someone correct me

• Earnest
    Earnest

dropoffyourkeylee, Terry is correct to say that the Watch Tower Tract Society was formed in 1881 (although it was only legally incorporated in 1884). The Henry Ward Beecher mansion at 124 Columbia Heights was purchased in 1908 and occupied in 1909.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit