Favourite book of serial killers ...

by Simon 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

The subject of crime fiction was being discussed on the radio this morning and whether the partrayal of gruesome crimes inspired murders etc... to commit copy-cat crimes.

An interesting point was made that very often, serial killers do have a favourite book - and it's usually the bible ...

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hmm, now what the hell does that say about the bible eh? interesting

God never listens to what I say
    And you don't get a refund
    If you overpray~~Lifeboy, Phish

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

We are happy that the killers out there are small in number! Also, I thought “Catcher in the Rye” was the book of choice for killers.

And then you have the Beatles White Album, the "music of choice" for the Manson murders........Does this make the Bible, Beatles, Catcher in the Rye "bad?"

The good news is that many more law abiding, morally upright, religiously inclined persons out there have a favorite book too: The Bible.

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

ThiChi,

I have heard that the favorite beverage of serial killers is water. Really makes you wonder, eh?

Rational, wondering does anyone ever bother to think? Or do they just emote?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

RW: Good point! Also, 85% of serial killers consumed bread within 24 hours of a killing! We must outlaw bread!!

• Shecky1
    Shecky1

no other book in the history of mankind has been responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people like the bible has. can you say the same for the "white album" or "catcher in the rye"?

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

teehee you guys are funny :)

God never listens to what I say
    And you don't get a refund
    If you overpray~~Lifeboy, Phish

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

The Bible responsible? You mean that the bible “possessed” them with an evil spirit to kill? That’s like saying that Guns are responsible for all the deaths in the world........the person pulling the trigger had no say so. Or some would just “feel better” if they beat their victims to death and not use a gun at all?

Persons will do what they do for their own reasons and use many “covers” for an excuse. A case can be made that the Bible has also helped many millions to live a better life.........I am one who experienced a positive experience because of a biblical influence.

Also, since the Beatles music only killed seven people, that is a bargain in your mind?

The answer to my question is: No. The Bible, the Beatles, etc., are not the evil that men do. The Evil is what the men do.......

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Shecky,

It's just a BOOK. Stop reifying it as if it were a person with WILL and INTENT and RESPONSIBILITY. What people do after reading it (or allowing others to interpret it to them) is entirely THEIR responsibility. Do you hold a consistent view between the Bible and other forms of media that include scenes of immorality and violence? The Bible has been around longer and has been available to more people than any other media form. So naturally more people have had access to it than to any other; but what they do afterward speaks about THEM and THEIR desires, not the Bible. The justifications and rationalizations people have inferred from their own or others' reading of the Bible are nothing more than what they WANTED or were WILLING to accept, good or bad ... the book didn't force them to do anything.

Rational

• RationalWitness
    RationalWitness

Mony,

Glad you didn't take offense at my sarcasm. (My wife punishes me when I employ sarcasm with her. And not in a good way, either ;^) You're a doll.

Cheers,
    Rational

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit