Baptism reversal

by DanmeraDinglebum 9 Replies latest jw friends

• DanmeraDinglebum
    DanmeraDinglebum

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting their baptism reversed? Ever?

• maisha
    maisha

Yes,

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don't think you can get out of it anymore. The lawyers run the show.

• humbled
    humbled

Yes. One elder in my Iowa congregation had his "annulled" when someone pointed out he was on active duty in the military. I knew him from 89-91. So it was sometime before that the bogus baptism took place. He had to wait til his commitment with the gov. was over.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yes. The young lady in question convinced the Elders that she was mentally unstable at the time, so they annulled her Baptism. As she only came to one meeting to hear that announced, I believe she knew TTATT and had it done so she could keep contact withher grandparents etc.

Good for her, brave.

• humbled
    humbled

How long ago, Phizzy? That was gutsy.

• why144000
    why144000

Yes, I know of a young man who was practicing martial arts secretly while he was studing for baptism. Once it all came out a few months after he got dipped the elders decided to annul the baptism and he has not been dunked again. Not a particularly smart cookie but that was one smart move!

• Sulla
    Sulla

Technically, an annulment isn't a reversal, it's a claim that it never really happened. Like a marriage when one person is secretly married already, it's a thing that can't happen. So, all that stuff with the vows and rings and rice doesn't mean anything in that case, because nothing could happen. So nothing did happen.

But you are unlikely to wiggle out of your JW baptism easily. Actually, at all. That wrath is gonna come down.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The fact that the organization has continually changed/refined/altered their interpretations of scripture since my baptism in 1960 is good enough for me that my baptism is null and void.

smiddy

• AnneB
    AnneB

In one congregation there was a man who was an active drug user, had unconfessed adultery, and was being prosecuted for tax fraud. After several years of active opposition to his JW wife the man decided to get baptized. The elders took him through the questions. The wife told the elders exactly what his status as a drug user was, and about the criminal charges; she didn't know about the adultery (yet). The elders postponed the baptism.

The man left his family and moved into another circuit a few miles away from his family (big city, lots of circuits). There he attended meetings for a month and asked to be baptized. The elders were aware of his family situation and the wife made these elders aware of his personal situation. These elders decided to go allow the baptism to proceed.

A month later he confessed to the adultery and admitted that his wife had been telling the truth about his drug use and criminal activity.

Did they annul or reverse his baptism? Nope. They browbeat the wife.

Six months later they disfellowshipped the "brother". He tried to appeal the discellowshipping on the grounds that his baptism was invalid. It didn't work, they said his baptism was valid because he knew what he was doing at the time he went through the questions.

Mind-boggling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit