100 Baptism Questions

by badboy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

Iunderstand from a recent Watchtower/Awake that Elders ask 100 questions before U are allowed to B baptized?

What Questions?

• Prisca
    Prisca

They're found at the back of the Organised To Accomplish Our Ministry book.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Nothing too personal. Things like where your mother and father married and how often do you masturbate.

Seriously though its all the doctrinal stuff like Why is the trinity not true? What is the Holy Spirit etc etc etc ad nausea.

• Amazing
    Amazing

I will get my OR book out and count them, and edit this later on. As I recall there are 120 questions broken into several topics of doctrine, organization, conduct, ministry, etc.

When a baptism candidate has completed a course of study, preferrably 2 books, and they are active in meetings and fields service, they can notify the Elders and go through the questions. At least 3 Elders and sometimes 4 or 5 will have different individual private sessions with the candidate, covering assigned sections of the questions.

The idea is that after several Elders have covered the material, they talk and determine if they feel the candidate is really ready, understands, and accepts the doctrine and organization of Jehovah's Witnesses. This is the time, as a last ckeck to make sure they have made necessary changes in conduct; i.e. stop smoking, given up drugs, terminated illicite sexual relationships, etc.

It is these questions that in all honesty disclose to the candidate much of what the JWs are about. But by this time, their minds are conditioned to accept it because they have been gradually led along as each new doctrine is put into place. EVen as extensive as their set of questions are, they still do not truly disclose or fully represent what the JW religion is about.

Again, if you like, I will edit this, or make an additional post to discuss the questions in detail.

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• Scully
    Scully

When my parents were baptized in the early 70s, the questions came from a book other than the Organized to Accomplish Our Ministry book that was used when I was baptized in 1980.

In the book that my parents used there were about 60 (?) questions that you had to answer in order to qualify for baptism. With the newer book, there were 80 questions.

Interesting that there are 100 questions now. Considering the falling numbers, you'd think they'd have fewer questions so as not to intimidate people and to encourage more to get baptized.

Of course it all just boils down to whether or not you can spout WT doctrine or not. If you show any indication of having researched beyond the pages of the WT, you get nailed for "independent thought" and wouldn't be allowed to get baptized anyway.

Personally, I think the process of answering the questions qualifies, in the legalese mindset of the WTS, as a very detailed contractual agreement, whereby the candidate states that they understand the terms and conditions of their contract with the WTS. Only they don't actually TELL you that is what it is.

Love, Scully

• Prisca
    Prisca

They also ask you for your PIN number so they have access to your bank account via the ATM. Those that refuse are denied baptism until they acquiesce.

• logical
    logical

if you answer the questions based on what the bible says you'll find yourself being told you cant get baptised.

• logical
    logical

one thing to take into consideration, when they were queing up to be baptised by John did some other guy have interviews with them first?

Why do we need to wait for man's approval to dedicate our lives to God?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Logical!!!!How lovely to e you!!!!Hope your well.Missed you.
    Any way the Bible says .It is finished- you dont need to answer the 100 questions.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well said, Logi! Exactly right.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit