Went to Premier of Truth Be Told in Brooklyn (Spoiler Alert!)

by rubadubdub 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

So my Hubby Bethelyellowdollarbag and I went to the premier of “Truth Be Told” in Brooklyn tonight. We met the producer and several of the ex-jws who appeared in the film during a Q & A after the film. The producer did announce that Steven Hassan has recently endorsed the film. Rick Fearon of Six Screens of the Watchtower was there as well. He was handing out refrigerator magnets—I got one with our hero Sparlock on it!

The film is an honest attempt to portray the life of a JW who has grown up in the religion. The point was made that possibly it is harder for a child whose parents convert and suddenly the child’s life changes abruptly-- things that child has known are suddenly taken away, as opposed to a born-in’s not having known anything different. There was a lot of emphasis on taking the taking away of holidays in the beginning of the film.

Then it moved along to the early school years, the isolation, being different, no extra-curricular activities, no worldly friends and no higher education. One comment struck me, “When you take away a child’s free choice, you kill his spirit.” Double lives were mentioned, as well as initial acceptance followed by apathy and then aversion and the low retention rate of young people in the religion. There was some fun discussion of smurfs, cabbage patch dolls and lame ‘80’s Pac Man video games being forbidden. There was a funny line when one of the j-dubs (as they are called in the film) said, basically that she could see in the bible that homosexuality and adultery were ruled out, but there is no scripture that says, “Thou shall not attend NYU.”

Of course, the mind-numbing and exhausting schedule of school, meetings, service and ministry school assignments were highlighted, although two of the J-dubs mentioned they felt they benefited from the ministry school later in life.

There was one j-dub woman who was pretty explicit about JWs, sex and dating: “There is no dating.” She also talked of young marriage just to be able to have sex and young divorces. She had personally experienced an invasive JC meetings regarding fornication. Of course, dragging kids around in the door-to-door work, selling magazine and proselyting when they didn’t understand anything more than fear of displeasing a parent and fear of Jehovah meaning death was covered. When they discussed fear-mongering together with the graphics, it hit me hard in the gut. I do have PTSD, and the fear mongering of the late ‘60’s early ‘70’s is part of that.

The producer said that ten years ago he could not have done the film in the way that he did today, because it would have been more of an indictment of the organization. There was only one subtitle which mentions covering up sex abuse and threatening disfellowshipping of those who speak up and no mention of the “Two Witness” rule. There is a strong implication that the religion destroys families, but it is not stated clearly enough in my opinion. There was no mention of the blood doctrine and only a subtitle referencing dates of failed prophesies.

All in all, I think it was well done, but I would have preferred an edgier piece, one that was, in fact, more of an indictment of the organization. Current ex-jws will relate, but I don’t think this film is going to help extricate many from The Lie.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Thank you for the review!

• Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

awesome post. thank you. "the lie" im going to keep that one.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Ah, thx for posting your review...can't wait till it become available for everyone else to watch.

• whathappened
    whathappened

When one is fully entrenched in the cult, they rationalize that all these sacrifices the Watchtower asks you to make are worth it because you will eventually get life everlasting in a paradise earth. You put up with this life for yourself and your kid because of that carrot they dangle in front of you.

From watching the trailers, I didn't see anything that would have persuaded me to leave while I was in. What caused me to leave was the lack of love, the self righteous attitude and all the hypocrisy.

• designs
    designs

Thanks Rub, nice overview. I can relate to JWs who's parents converted and my life as I knew it ended abruptly. My mother wanted to become active again in 1960. She had been raised a Bible Student and left the org. in 1928. My life was rather normal up that point with birthdays, Christmas, said the pledge of alligance at school you name it, then in 1960 all of that changed. Former friends couldn't figure it out it was a mess.

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

Whathappened wrote:

When one is fully entrenched in the cult, they rationalize that all these sacrifices the Watchtower asks you to make are worth it because you will eventually get life everlasting in a paradise earth. You put up with this life for yourself and your kid because of that carrot they dangle in front of you.

From watching the trailers, I didn't see anything that would have persuaded me to leave while I was in. What caused me to leave was the lack of love, the self righteous attitude and all the hypocrisy.

Whathappened, that is exactly what my husband said! I was hoping to move him away from the attitude that it was a different life in many ways, but I've moved on attitude. I went through decades of cognitive dissonance which in the end nearly drove me to insanity, but the thing that got me out was the very real trauma that hit our family and the lack of love, self-righteousnes and demand that I shun my son when he was still not in his right mind. Six years after the trauma we are still in the process of healing, and I am still learning more details about what really happened, and the picture only gets worse. When you are in the middle of a fire storm, trust me, you may think you know what is happening, but you don't have a clue.

All of the BITE methods of cult control were shown (Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotion), but as an ex-jw we know what we are looking at. The cinematography was very good. Meetings where shown with dub drone-like images in black and white. Disfellowshipped ones were shown as shadowy silhouettes and the doomsday images vs. panda bear paradise images were strong. The film is a work of art, by choice.

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

designs wrote:

Thanks Rub, nice overview. I can relate to JWs who's parents converted and my life as I knew it ended abruptly. My mother wanted to become active again in 1960. She had been raised a Bible Student and left the org. in 1928. My life was rather normal up that point with birthdays, Christmas, said the pledge of alligance at school you name it, then in 1960 all of that changed. Former friends couldn't figure it out it was a mess.

Yes, designs, that was the focus of the rather long introductory scene. I have a different perspective, because even though I celebrated my last Christmas at age 8, it was my choice. My attitude was, no Christmas? Sign me up. Too much drama with parents fighting about bill collectors callling. I was a shy child so, the standing out from my peers as different was very painful for me. One teacher humiliated me in front of the class for not saluting the flag.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thank You Rub

It was my daughter that saved me from that cult, not in protest

but she followed me faithfully in whatever I chose for us because

she trusted that as her mother, I would do her no harm

Jehovah's witnesses wanted me to strip her of everything she had ever known

School activites, friends, and even relatives that were not JW's

They even tried to talk me out of lettin' her go to the prom

regaurdless that the parents involved had an itinerary for the children

They said I needed to put on a new set of clothes

they wanted to totally screw my child up from scratch

My child always felt free to ask of me. She knew she could discuss

that I wouldn't jus say No " because GOd say's so "

They Showed me the scripture that say's Not bein' worthy of God

if I love my child more

I told them Jehovah did all he could for us , why can't I show that same

undyin' love for my child

I can't even remember what thier response was . Maybe it was because

I had already made up in my mind that I would no longer listen to them

• rubadubdub
    rubadubdub

wasbline wrote:

They Showed me the scripture that say's Not bein' worthy of God

if I love my child more

I told them Jehovah did all he could for us , why can't I show that same

undyin' love for my child

I love your line of reasoning! I plan on using that should I ever have the need-- 'I'm so sorry brothers (gag), but I just feel so unworthy, I love my children more than I love Jesus, and the scriptures say that I don't have my priorities straight.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit