See my post 562 on this thread.

• Este
    Este

Este:

See my post 562 on this thread.

We are in agreement

• Terry
    Terry

The Governing Body is the thief that comes in and steals what should belong to the household of God. JW's aren't allowed to partake of the one celebration commanded! They sit with their hands folded doing what? Simply watching the opportunity go by.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Este:

Another way of putting it is that it is a parable about one slave, but written for many persons. And thus, there are many possible outcomes depending on the individual.

Compare Peter's question in Luke 12:41 which prompted the parable. In verses 32-40 Jesus gave encouragement, in part in parabolic form, for all his disciples to be like diligent and alert slaves. (Notice the plural pronouns throughout verses 32-40. The parallel in Matthew to these verses is 24:43-44, although in much abbreviated form.)

After the encouragement in Luke 12:32-40, Peter asks (in vs. 41), 'Is this for us or for all?' (Greek pantas = "all", a form of pas) This question is missing in Matthew 24. It would fit in between 24:44 and 45 if it were there. But since Jesus is retelling the counsel which was given in Luke about six months earlier there is no need to repeat the question.

Logically, the parable should be an answer to Peter's question: Not a prophecy about some future handful of men, but rather, if Jesus' encouragement in Luke 12:32-40 is "for us or for all."

Now compare the underlying principle upon which the parable is based and which concludes Jesus' answer to Peter:

(Luke 12:48) . . .Indeed, everyone (Greek pantos, a form of pas) to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him; and the one whom people put in charge of much, they will demand more than usual of him.

The answer to Peter's question is "all" or "everyone" (same word in Greek), with the qualifying, "to whom much was given" and "put in charge of much." It leaves the hearer to decide if those qualifications apply to himself. (Incidentally, "people" is inserted by the NWT because the verb, "put in charge," is plural.)

Mark doesn't have the parable in chapter 13 (in contrast to Matthew 24). Rather, Mark 13:32-36 is roughly equivalant to Mathhew 24:36-42. Then Mark concludes the Olivet discourse with:

(Mark 13:37) "But what I say to YOU I say to all (Greek pasin, a form of pas), Keep on the watch."

This shows that Mark understood the parable that Matthew goes on to relate in 24:45ff as applying to "all"/"everyone." And Mark's, "I say to all," is harmonious with how Jesus first explained the parable in Luke 12.

Este, this explanation might already be understood by you, but for any anonymous readers I went into detail.)

Take Care

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Faithful and discreet Slaves are a bunch of ignorant self serving assholes. Don't spend a moment worrying about them.

• DS211
    DS211

Mrked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit