The Cult Test

by AndDontCallMeShirley 12 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Newly Enlightened:

I found a couple quotes from your post interesting. Facts do not fit the WT claims.

Thanks for contributing this great information!

TheEncyclopediaofReligion

agrees that "all that they believe is based on the Bible. They ‘proof text’ (that is, supply a biblical citation to support) almost every statement of faith, taking for granted the authority of the Bible, which entirely supplants tradition." The book ReligioninAmerica states: "The group has never wavered from its focus on Bible study, and its teachings are supported by an elaborate system of references to scripture."

Note: "elaborate" does not mean it is correct!

It is precisely because of this close adherence to Bible teachings that the veneration and idolization of human leaders so characteristic of cults today is not to be found among Jehovah’s Witnesses. They reject the concept of a clergy-laity distinction. TheEncyclopediaofReligion aptly states about Jehovah’s Witnesses: "A clergy class and distinctive titles are prohibited."

In light of WT's ever-changing doctrines, we can reasonably argue that either, A) they had the truth but have abandoned it, B) they never had the truth so need to keep changing it.

And, as all here know, The Governing Body, CO's, DO's and prominent Elders are idolized. In Fact, the GB teaches that salvation comes through it and the Organization, not Jesus:

" The other sheep should never forget that their salvation depends on their active support of Christ's anointed " brothers" still on earth.". - W 3-15-12, p.20

"And while now the witness yet includes the invitation to come to Jehovahs organization for salvation, the time no doubt will come when the message takes on a harder tone, like a "great war cry."" Watchtower 1981 Nov 15 p.21

Likewise, the Greater Moses, Jesus Christ, is not the Mediator between Jehovah God and all mankind. He is the Mediator between his heavenly Father, Jehovah God, and the nation of spiritual Israel, which is limited to only 144,000 members.

-Worldwide Security Under the "Prince of Peace" (1986) pp.10-11 ch.1 The Desire for Peace and Security Worldwide

• SAHS
    SAHS

I have actually just finished reading ALL of the series of Web pages in the Orange Papers Web site (“http://www.orange-papers.org”) under the general “Cult Test” section as well as the comparison of same to Alcoholics Anonymous. It was quite a lengthy and detailed read.

Although I do, in fact, agree with the material under the general “Cult Test,” I must, however, take exception to the rather unfair, unwarranted, and inordinately vehement vilification of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I myself, in addition to having being born into a Jehovah’s Witness family in 1966, have also been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) on and off for several years. Although I have relapsed quite a few times – admittedly due to my not having actually been “working the program” in my earlier exposure – I must say that AA, of anything, certainly does NOT appear to be a cult.

AA has helped bring me almost a year-and-a-half of current continuous sobriety, and it has most definitely saved countless people much untold misery and death. Although I do not deny the fundamentalist-like and somewhat unsavory history of both the old Oxford Group and the AA founders, William (Bill) Wilson and Dr. Robert (Bob) Smith, I just cannot fathom AA to be a “cult” in the general, classic sense. There is no current dictator or “guru” forcing his/her every whim on the populace, such as the case in the infamous cults cited (Jim Jones, Moonies, etc.) or in the case of rogue nations such as North Korea or Cuba.

As the 12 Traditions of AA clearly state, their “leaders” are “but trusted servants” . . . and “THEY DO NOT GOVERN.” That certainly does NOT seem to be a cult to me. Orange Papers seems to be almost trying to crucify this very noble and practical support group as though it were some kind of antisocial, fascist neo-Nazi group of religious extremists.

Come on, Orange Papers. You could be a little more fair and less melodramatic about AA – yes, the founders and history are not perfect (big surprise?), but the reality is that IT IS SAVING LIVES!!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

SAHS said: Orange Papers seems to be almost trying to crucify this very noble and practical support group as though it were some kind of antisocial, fascist neo-Nazi group of religious extremists.

Come on, Orange Papers. You could be a little more fair and less melodramatic about AA – yes, the founders and history are not perfect (big surprise?), but the reality is that IT IS SAVING LIVES!!

ADCMS: SAHS- I have no experience with AA so will not make any comments about that group. I don't know why the writer of Orange Papers feels so strongly negative about AA. I take no issue with your assessment of AA- if that group personally helped you, then wonderful! I am happy for you.

I highlighted the above comments from your post for one reason: Jehovah's Witnesses use the same exact argument, in almost the same words, to defend the Watchtower Society!

"How can anyone, especially "apostates", attack such a noble organization as the Watchtower/Jehovah's Witnesses? We are not religious extremists or some anti-social group! Sure, the founders of the WT are not perfect, but the reality is, WT is "God's sole channel of communication on earth", saving lives before the 'great day of God the Almighty at Armageddon. People could be a little more fair about Jehovah's Witnesses."

Actually, you wouldn't know that Orange Papers had anything against AA until the last page of the article. Putting that aside, the article clearly demonstrated the earmarks of a religious cult, many of them so identifiable with the WT, that I think the article has much worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit