What if you were DF'd for apostacy, but instead of the expected...

by respectful_observer 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

This will have no effect in the long run..the elders would maybe finally ask "Do you believe that the governing body is the FDS"!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

The best of conduct from semeone disfellowshipped would be perceived as an attempt for reinstatement and proof that this form of discipline works. Instead of going to the meetings with my wife I go out on my motorcycle...meet nice people at the coffee shop...go for walks along the river...I couldn't stand going to the meetings now that I know the truth about the truth...Ivalready gave them 50 years of my life so the time left is mine.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    For this hypothetical situation you would have to inform all your friends and family why you were being DF'd, because they won't say why from the stage. No one would know. If you never came back they would probably assume that it was for apostasy. Plus, we all know the Elders do not keep anything confidential. You would have to let all your friends know that the charges were false, and then endure years of humiliating treatment.

I don't think it would take very long for everyone to know why you were disfellowshipped, either through the loose lips of elders or through your spouse who was still "in"...it's not like your spouse (or any children) are subject to a gag order. Once it became common knowledge that it was for apostacy, I imagine speculation would begin swirling around what you believe, why you're still there, and why horns haven't started growing out of your head and you haven't sprouted a tail and begun carrying a pitchfork.

Some might think you're crazy. But others-- especially after months-- might realize that you're a level-headed reasonable person who is being punished for a "thought crime" and the only thing you've really done is been 100% honest about what you believe in your heart...and you're being punished severly for it.

My thought is that it's easy for JWs to assign attributes, attitudes and stereotypes to apostates because they're never around the prove the stereotype wrong. What if, instead, they're faced with the facts every single time they walk into the Kingdom Hall? (e.g., "I know s/he's technically an apostate, but it seems strange that the only reason we can't talk to him anymore is because s/he thinks the WTS is wrong about 607 BCE. Other than that, it's the same old Sally/Jim week after week."

At the end of the day what you really accomplish? You could get your spouse out, maybe..

I think that's the likeliest outcome. Your spouse is the one person who sees you really haven't changed into some monster. All they see is the way you're being treated because you refuse to lie about what you believe. Long term, I think it's likely it'd affect his/her opinion of the Org instead of you.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Your being there tells everyone: "I didn't disassociate myself. I didn't WANT to leave. I have no problems with you, or the meetings, and I see value in being here and listening to your expressions. It's the WTS that stripped you of the ability to talk to me."

Again, I realize that many of you would see ZERO value in this for yourself. I'm not saying you might not want to leave and never come back.

I'm just trying to measure whether you think someone doing this would cause others in the congregation to THINK everytime they see you, and there's nothing the elders could do about it week after week.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"I'm just trying to measure whether you think someone doing this would cause others in the congregation to THINK everytime they see you, and there's nothing the elders could do about it week after week. "

Nope! They will regard you just like another DF'ed person. Just forget it! The thought control is stricter than you think.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Unbelievable!!

I posed this scenario to my wife last week, putting myself in the d/f role. I told her that it would really cause all sorts of mental anguish for "those taking the lead", because they've never had to deal with such a situation in their lives! I said that if they asked me to sit somewhere 'special' I would lovingly remind them that a) they shouldn't be talking to me, and b) as a registered charity with wonderful tax benefits, surely discrimination of a person would be viewed very seriously by the Charities Commission - in other words, back off or we'll let the "superior authorities" decide where I can sit!

Who knows, one day soon I may be in that position!

• suavojr
    suavojr

Interesting scenario... It might be painful but you might plant some seeds and demonstrate how true Christianity is about showing love and tolerance. But be ready! Not everyone will have a changet of heart.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Better, what would happen if a number of disfellowshiped people went to church and only spoke to themselves, laughed, joked and rounded up kids as though nothing was amiss. I know this is only hypothetical. Also, can one be disfellowshiped for talking to people who are disfellowshiped?

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

WELCOME App-sun01! Nice to have you here with us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit